Posts Made By: Roger Sherman

May 19, 2007 01:08 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Apogee 25X100 VS 20X100 Which is best?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Please,

What is your opinion on either of these BIG BOY'S. There are more pricey 100MM bino's of coarse, but, the Apogee's seem to be priced right. Will I "get what I pay for" or are they "great for the money"?

I have a Bogen 3233 tripod which should be adequate for the job however, I need advice on a approiate pan head.

I will be using the binoculars for dark sky and daytime. So, which of the two do you have knowledge of?

Thanks in advance.........Astro-buddy Roger in Tampa

October 9, 2007 03:06 AM Forum: Refractors

New Orion Short Tube 80-A w/multi-coatings

Posted By Roger Sherman

I would like to get some opinions on Orion's new Short Tube 80-A with improved fully multi-coated optics.

I have one of the of the first 80 short tubes so, I was wondering if the new coatings will actually improve the image brightness in astronomical applications. Will there be a noticeable difference? What's your guesstimation?

Thanks in advance.....Roger in Tampa

February 29, 2008 08:10 PM Forum: Refractors

2" focuser for Orion 80MM ST?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello refractor gurus,

Now why would I want to replace a perfectly good 1 1/4" focuser? Because, I love W.A. views! grin grin grin

Can someone recommend a rack and pinion focuser or an inexpensive crayford?

Thanks in advance....................Roger in Tampa

March 26, 2008 03:42 PM Forum: Religion

Exhausted Minds............

Posted By Roger Sherman

This is unusual....all you intellectuals with blank mind's. Try to be creative (if you believe in that word) and start a thread that is positive and up building to anyone who reads it. Just try it....OK?

Roger in Tampa

May 27, 2015 06:16 PM Forum: Refractors

Coulter Optics Refractor....

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello refract nuts...

I purchased a Coulter Optics 90 MM F10 (I think) Refractor today from a friend of mine. I had never heard of such a scope. Yes, I've heard of and have an 1989 10" Odyssey Dob. A little bit of research on the subject turned up nothing.

Please tell me what you know...... Thanks in advance....Roger Sherman in Ft. Myers, Fl.

May 28, 2015 12:50 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Coulter Optics Refractor....

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello refract lover's......

I purchased a Coulter Optics 90 MM F10 (I think) Refractor today from a friend of mine. I had never heard of such a scope. Yes, I've heard of and have an 1989 10" Odyssey Dob. A little bit of research on the subject turned up nothing.

Please tell me what you know...... Thanks in advance....Roger Sherman in Ft. Myers, Fl.

September 15, 2002 05:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best scope for terrestial viewing

Posted By Roger Sherman

Bob, if we knew your budget we would be better able to make sound recommendations. All the above advice is excellent if you have that kind of money but, if not, I would not hesitate in recommending the Orion short tube 80 scope! It comes with a correct image diagonal and two eyepieces that give you wide angle views at powers that are reasonable for terrestial viewing. Approx. 16x and 40x which is plenty good enough for that type of viewing. A 5mm will you 80x which is about its limit for day time viewing and that can be increased to more than 120x for star viewing.IMHO you cant go wrong with this scope and a mount from Orion as they have a good return policy if you are not satisfied.
Hope this helps--------Roger in Tampa

September 17, 2002 11:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

What I hate about most Refractors is.......

Posted By Roger Sherman

Renato--we all hate to bend over like that!!!You are on the right tract by relocating your finder scope. Another way would be to purchase a right angle finder scope in place of the std. one and also purchase a red-dot finder which you place higher up on the scope. This finder will put you in the general vicinity of your target- then use the ra. finder to put the main scope right on target.
This is just another idea. Roger in Tampa

September 18, 2002 09:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Old TV 2.5x Barlow or new TV 3x Barlow ?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Rob, thanks for responding. Ha, your the only one! Must be a difficult question to answer?? Yes, Rob, I really would like to hear how the TV 2.5x Powermate works for you!!When you respond, perhaps you could tell us what type of scope/scopes you are using it with and what the application is ( planets, doubles, globs, man in the moon, lady down the street, oooops!!!) Whatever-let us know.
Thanks again, Roger in Tampa

October 22, 2002 11:57 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Alt-Az Mount

Posted By Roger Sherman

Dave, sounds like you are looking for plans with a refractor in mind, correct? If not let us know.
Roger in Tampa