Ron Masters

Mars Moon Conjunction 1-30-2023

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Russell

May 16, 2003 01:51 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

anybody use Stellaimage (Comparison Wanted)

Posted By William Russell

How does this product compare to the capabilities of MaximDL, Adobe, CCDSoft, Astroart etc.

The Digital Developement was really nice can any of the above do the same kind of thing?

Bill Russell

June 16, 2003 02:54 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Am I going Insane?

Saturday night ~11:00 MST I was out on my way back from the bars admiring the western night sky when I noticed a bright object amout 2deg nw of Jupitor. It was about the same Mag as my gassy old friend ~-2.0. I knew it didn't belong, and it didn't move, but slowly dimmed till it was gone. I went home and checked the maps and sure enough nothing was there > mag 5. It wasn't a plane, nor a train and not a spot in my eye. What could it be that I saw in the sky?

Bill Russell

November 25, 2003 04:06 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Anybody use the LPI for Autoguiding Yet?

Comments or Predictions welcome.

Clear Skies

Bill Russell

December 11, 2003 10:17 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Filter? Dichroic RGB vs Dichroic CMY Question

I have a CFW8a Dichroic RGB set and have been impressed with the CMY Work done here. It seems my RGB work is usually kind of Muddy, Thinking about going CMY What are your opinions as to the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance

Bill Russell

Interesting Comparision of 1 1min RGB vs CMY from True Technologies

January 5, 2004 02:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Where is my ED80!

Boy, After ordering at the end of Nov Orion has sure moved the ship date around. When I ordered it was due on 12/6 then 12/10,12/17,1/6,1/17 and now 1/31. At least I got the old price. I hope they didn't run out of parts and are building these things out of old Desotos' now!

Just venting

Bill Russell

November 17, 2004 12:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Canon D-reble or 10D with IR filter removed?

Anybody have there Drebble or 10d modified to remove the lowpass sensor on the CMOS to produce IR. Was woundering how effective it would be with Digital-Astro.

Bill Russell

February 17, 2007 07:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Night Mode Utility

I'm looking for a night mode utility that dosnt just change the application colors. This only changes the app not windows so popups and cursors are too bright.

I have some Ideas:

Change the Windows ICM monitor color profile directly to reduce eveything to red

Or

A utility to change the graphic card properties directly from an aplication ( for example nvidia )

If any one has any thoughts I's like to here. Need to find something fast for an international marine client.

January 24, 2003 09:29 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

F6.3 focal reducer for visual

As I wouldn’t say the 6.3 is useless for visual work, It is more applicable to CD and film. The 6.3 wouldn’t (shouldn’t) produce any vegetating provided your eyepiece focal point is within 5" or so of the reducer. I successfully run mine through a 2" flip mirror with a 35mm so you shouldn’t have a problem-- the cone really isn’t that steep – not like a 3.3.

However. its really just a matter of visual reduction if your not using a camera. In theory it should almost double your field of view with your eyepiece. But. in practice 6.3 is never achieved. the Longer the distance the Focal Point is from the reducer, the higher the ratio. e.g. 1"=8.5 2"=7.3 3"=6.9. I've never been able to get to 6.3 even at 5"!

But for turning a 40mm into a (lets say 60mm) that’s really the only use a reducer has in visual work.

Cheers

Bill Russell

February 5, 2003 09:53 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

SAC 7 Drivers

My advice is to scrap the software provided by SAC with the exception of the Logitec Driver ( WDM ) Driver. The software is truley Bad with little attention given to quality or useability not to mention instructions. Check out K3 tools - accessable fron the QCUIAG Web Sight. Its a great tool for the SAC and will do everything you need.

March 3, 2003 02:43 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Ha image

Nice Job Mike! :-)