My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Russell

March 10, 2003 11:24 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

WebCam Autoguiding

Posted By William Russell

See my post under User Photos. I'm doing just that. and it does work!

Currently I'm waiting for my Quickcam 3000. This should be much more sensitive then the Quickcam Express i'm using now. I can reach mag 5 on and etx90 guiding my lx200. If I had a reducer for the 90 I would probably get mag 8 but I'm hoping the QC 3000 will reach mag 10. If not I can allways rig it for long exposure like the Philips.

May 15, 2003 10:31 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Guiding with a webcam

Your options are a dedicated guide scope or an off axis guider. I prefer the guide scope. The reasons are you can adjust the gscope till you find a decent star! Very important as my best efforts on a web cam are only around mag8-9 ( mostly because of my skies ) MaximDL has a driver for the web cam and can be used with the auto guide. I'm sure there are other packages that can do this as well ( I wish K3tools had this feature )

Be forwarned! the Focal lenght, mount vibration and angle off axis will all effect your guiding ability. But by far I found this the best way to go thus far.

Bill Russell

May 16, 2003 10:28 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Question about Logitech Pro 4000 webcam

Check out

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/web-cameras.htm

Every thing you wanted to know and more....

Cheers

Bill Russell

May 25, 2003 10:55 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Autoguider for LX200GPS

Stay away form the Pictor, Better yet run away! Get yourself a used Webcam and a copy of MaximDL or AstroArt and you will have a great setup for autoguiding. Research other posts on this subject on how to modify the webcam for astro photography. and visit the QCUIAG websight for other options. Additionally the Starlight Express with Star2000 is a great into option. You can get a used 5c or 7c with Star2000 for under 1200.

December 10, 2003 11:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade Giant Field Tripod Modification.

I startd this modification "without" the Kit. So far I have:

taken the legs off
Removed the Asembely
shortened the Leg Bars

About 1hr worth of work

Inorder to remove the assembely you must heat up the "Cup" and Leg ( Top of course ) with a torch and pound off the "Cup" it takes some Time and I didn't damage the "Cup" beyond a few minor hammor scratches that will cover up fine. ( Dont Hit Too Hard! just tap... ok well, tap hard)

To cut the legs get your hands on a Number 3 Pipe cutter ( Harbor Freight $16.95) up to 3.75"

Hope this helps. I dont know why its such a big secret

Bill Russell

January 18, 2004 10:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fix it ? SCT

Hope This Helps

I have identified 3 Major causes of backlash (Slop ) in the LX200GPS.
1. Gear Pin 1 and 2 loose
2. Gap between Pinion Gear and Motor Gear.
3. Rack Pin Limit Spring.

Fix 1. Check for loose gears
1. Check for play in the Rack Assemble by lightly turning the gear back and forth while if any noticeable play is noticed tighten the gear Pin
2. Lightly turn the Dec Knob in both directions. If any play is visible, tighten the Gear Pin

Fix 2. Adjust Motor alignment bolts - You will have to remove the mounting bolts to perform this!.
1. First remove the 2 mounting bolts being careful not to loose the Rack Swing Limit Pin Spring.
2. Remove the Upper Gear and set aside.
3. Tighten the 2 lower alignment bolts.
4. Replace gear.
5. Check for play.
6. Repeat.

1) Get a new one. Tighten screw till it touches plate then back off 1 turn.

February 3, 2004 12:05 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Fossils ?

Is it just me or is that the space shuttle?

February 4, 2004 09:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

slop in declination..opinions please

hope This Helps. Its more then likley #3

Cheers
Bill RUssell

I have identified 3 Major causes of backlash (Slop ) in the LX200GPS.
1. Gear Pin 1 and 2 loose
2. Gap between Pinion Gear and Motor Gear.

Fix 1. Check for loose gears
1. Check for play in the Rack Assemble by lightly turning the gear back and forth while if any noticeable play is noticed tighten the gear Pin
2. Lightly turn the Dec Knob in both directions. If any play is visible, tighten the Gear Pin

Fix 2. Adjust Motor alignment bolts - You will have to remove the mounting bolts to perform this!.
1. First remove the 2 mounting bolts being careful not to loose the Rack Swing Limit Pin Spring.
2. Remove the Upper Gear and set aside.
3. Tighten the 2 lower alignment bolts.
4. Replace gear.
5. Check for play.
6. Repeat.

Fix 3. Rack Pin Limit Spring.
1) Get a new one. Tighten screw till it touches plate then back off 1 turn.

February 6, 2004 11:49 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

February 12, 2004 12:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Question battery on LX200 classic

Another option is to use a 12v inverter ($25) with the OEM Transformar. This works great and you dont need to shell out $100 for the 12x18v Transformer.