Posts Made By: jared workman

October 1, 2002 04:30 AM Forum: Celestron

Is Celestron the dumbest company around?

Posted By jared workman

I broke the leg support bracket on my Ultima 9.25 a day or so ago. The tripod was tied up and a cat tipped it over, viola a piece of plastic went flying. I contacted Celestron to have it replaced but they apparently don't accept credit or check cards so I have to send a money order or check and wait three weeks for the part. I have never heard of such silliness. No wonder Meade beats them in sales. What kind of respectable company won't accept credit cards in the twenty first century? They would do better if there customer service matched the quality of their products.

October 4, 2002 10:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Question on eyepieces Celestron Ultima vs Vixen

Posted By jared workman

Hi there,
I currently have a ultima 9.25 and a focal reducer for it.
I was thinking about adding a 42mm and 9 or 10mm to my collection (right now I have a 6mm, 25mm, 32mm and 2x barlow). I was however curious as to how people think the celestron ultima stacks up to the vixen series? I have an astigmatism and must wear eyeglasses while observing so I need the long eye relief and am somewhat financially constrained to the 100 dollar or so range. Also Orion has some new product called ED eyepieces. Has anyone had experience with these? Any general opionions on brands, sizes welcome and appreciated.
Thanks

October 4, 2002 11:06 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Electric Star

Posted By jared workman

Hi,
I was reading an article in the newest Sky and Telescope concerning the production of light by a white dwarf-main sequence star pair via induction. I was curious if anyone knows of the publication called Monthly Notes of the Royal Astronomical Society in which the details of the calculations can be found. Any other sources for other more technical astronomy magazines would also be appreciated.