My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Scobel

May 28, 2004 03:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Adapting Coolpix 800 to Radian EP

Posted By Doug Scobel

I originally posted this on the Digital Camera and Adapter forum (in the other forums list), but it doesn'y look like many folks are looking at that one, so I'm trying here. (If you'd rather reply in the other forum then please do.)

I recently acquired a Nikon Coolpix 800 and want to use it afocal with my Radians. I

June 4, 2004 01:18 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Lunar twilight?

Posted By Doug Scobel

Is there such a thing as lunar twilight? In other words, does a nearly full moon (say 3 days past full) brighten the sky at all before rising, or can it essentially be ignored?

Just curious :S

Doug

June 5, 2004 01:22 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

C/2001 Q4 (NEAT) w/Beehive 17-May-2004

Posted By Doug Scobel

Finally got a good scan of the pics I took back on May 17. Taken with an Olympus OM-1 on homemade barn door drive, 100mm lens. Exposure was 10 minutes at f/2.8 on Kodak Max 400 print film. This is the best of the lot.

Enjoy,
Doug

June 8, 2004 08:24 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Venus Transit - Michigan checking in

Posted By Doug Scobel

Halleluia! It was actually mostly clear (but hazy). Here's how it looked from SE Michigan (New Hudson), just before third contact.

Doug Scobel

June 18, 2004 12:53 PM Forum: Eyepieces

28mm Pretoria

Posted By Doug Scobel

I was just wondering how many of you own and use the 28mm Pretoria eyepiece that University Optics sold several years ago. I own one and love it - I've never felt the need or even desire to replace it with anything "better". It was one of the first (the first?) coma-correcting eyepieces. In my 13" f/4.5 stars are sharp to the edge, although not a real wide FOV and some significant field distortion. At 28mm and with an f/4.5 it gives an exit pupil just over 6mm, which is plenty big for me. It gives great low-power views in that scope.

I don't see many (if any at all) for sale on AM, so I assume that folks who own them feel the same as I do. I'd be interested in hearing comments from any of you who own one.

Regards,
Doug

June 20, 2004 11:34 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Comet C/2003 K4 (LINEAR) 20-Jun-2004

Posted By Doug Scobel

I finally got a gander at this comet after seemingly an entire spring of clouds. We actually had a very clear and dry (read transparent) night, and with the comet being nearly directly overhead it was a great view. Here's my write-up:

Object: Comet C/2003 K4 (LINEAR)
Date/Time: 2004-Jun-20 05:50 UT
Telescope: 13" f/4.5 Newtonian
Eyepiece/Magnification: 14mm Radian/106x
Field diameter: 34'
Object magnitude: 7.0 (very approximate)
Object altitude: approx. 85 degrees
Sky transparency: NELM approx 6.3 @ zenith
Sky steadiness: 6/10
Notes: Very bright, very condensed, symmetrical coma, with star-like nucleus. No tail seen per se, but coma was noticeably elongated towards the south (away from the sun - the comet was very near the meridian almost straight up). In a rich, star-filled field.

June 22, 2004 03:46 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Menard 400?

Posted By Doug Scobel

Anyone know of a web resource where I can get a listing of the so-called [Vic] Menard 400? I've searched the AM forums and did a google search and both came up empty.

Apparently it's in an article by Vic in the summer 2001 issue (issue 30) of "Amateur Astronomy" magazine. Just wondering if it's found its way onto the web anywhere.

Thanks,
Doug

June 25, 2004 12:56 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

The only safe way to view the sun

Posted By Doug Scobel

Here's an example of the right and wrong way to view the sun. The guy on the left is in danger of ruining his eyes forever. The guy on the right is doing it the right way. wink

Cheers,
Doug

p.s. if you care to see a collection of Venus transit pictures from the Lowbrows, visit http://www.umich.edu/~lowbrows/astrophotos/venus-transit/

July 15, 2004 12:53 PM Forum: Star Parties

Black Forest Star Party

Posted By Doug Scobel

Any of you AM regulars (irregulars accepted too wink ) planning on being there this year?

Doug

August 1, 2004 04:01 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Locking Radian Instadjust eyeguard

Posted By Doug Scobel

I seem to recall some posts some time ago describing the use of rubber o-rings to lock down the "Instadjust" eyeguard on Radian eyepieces. I've searched the forums but haven't come across them (with over 1100 posts with "Radian", I can't possibly read them all!)

If any of you know of such a method? What I'm looking for is a way not only to set the eyeguard position, but more importantly to keep it from rotating. (I've followed the instructions on the Televue site to increase the tension but it still rotates freely.)

I'm trying to attach a camera to my Radians, but on a scope with a 1.25" focuser. The Televue adapter locks eyepiece and eyeguard together, but it requires a 2" focuser. With the eyeguard free to rotate, gravity swings the camera downward, since its lens is on one end of the camera. Makes it impossible to set the orientation of the photo that way.

Thanks,
Doug