My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Milton Wilcox

January 31, 2009 01:16 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Traveler pic

Posted By Milton Wilcox

Wow, thanks for posting this, Ivan! Enormous field, superb color and detail and, dare I mention, no diffraction spikes. grin

I can also understand why this is your primary visual scope. There's something immensely satisfying about poking around the skies with a quality 4" apo.

Milt

April 8, 2009 01:47 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Baader/AP Bino

Posted By Milton Wilcox

John,

A-P's website lists the back focus requirements for various compensators under the Mark V description in 'Visual Accessories.' It will all depend on how much back focus your TSA102 has in reserve. Some apo's can reach focus with NO negative lens. In general, Cassegrain's like your Mewlon have little problem reaching focus.

With regards to optical quality, I don't think you are going to notice any degradation in any configuration with the caveat that Roland recommends increasing magnification ahead of the binoviewer prisms rather than behind (i.e. by using a compensator instead of short f.l. eyepieces).

IMO you have chosen the finest binoviewer available. I love mine.

Milt

April 12, 2009 02:13 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Cardinal in the Red Bud Tree

Posted By Milton Wilcox

Steve,

Absolutely striking!

Milt

May 15, 2009 03:22 AM Forum: Refractors

scratches

Posted By Milton Wilcox

A scratch on an apo objective must be disclosed and will harm the resale value even if it doesn't harm the image.

Milt

May 31, 2009 10:50 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Green Cheek Amazon

Posted By Milton Wilcox

Dave, nice catch. Since Southern CA was once arid, I assume that the wild Parrot population originated with imported birds? Amazing that they have been able to preserve their genetic lineages.

Milt

June 12, 2009 06:46 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Common Flicker: the Dumb Way

Posted By Milton Wilcox

Greg, I'm surprised that the bird hung around long enough for you to go through the whole sequence! These are pretty good for handheld through 1/2 a binocular. I've fooled around with that approach too, without much success. For casual wildlife photography I've found my Sony DSC-H9 with 15x zoom and built-in image stabilization to be a better solution. Of course it would never satisfy the serious photographers here.

Milt

July 9, 2009 07:41 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Great Horned

Posted By Milton Wilcox

Aaron, Nice shot of a magnificent bird. I'll never forget the night when one perched in a nearby tree and watched me set up my telescope. Couldn't believe the wingspan when it finally left.

Milt

July 13, 2009 01:10 AM Forum: Eyepieces

disappointed with 7mm PentaxXW vs 13mmEthos + x1.6

Posted By Milton Wilcox

The Pentax 7XW has more eye relief than my 13Ethos. I use the 7XW for public star parties to accommodate eyeglass wearers. However, if I had to sell one it wouldn't be the 13Ethos. wink

Milt

July 13, 2009 09:51 PM Forum: Eyepieces

The Ethoi and the future!

Posted By Milton Wilcox

Steve, can't help you with the Radian-Nagler comparison. However I can report that a Tak LE is like looking through a soda straw after using an Ethos. Nevertheless, binoviewed 5LE's are still my preferred planetary setup.

Milt

August 1, 2009 11:43 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Cedar Waxwing

Posted By Milton Wilcox

Stunning, Alan. I have never seen one before although their winter range is said to include AZ. The orange "wax" is amazing.

Thanks, Milt