Posts Made By: Alan Koff

May 25, 2004 07:07 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Any Word on the Astro 100 IIs, Anyone Testing a Pa

Posted By Alan Koff

Astro 100s are being reworked and are due soon from what I've been told. Anyone have the skinny on where we stand delivery wise?
Al K.

May 26, 2004 09:44 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Love it, But I Can't......

Posted By Alan Koff

seem to get my profile picture to upload. What might I be doing wrong? Is it still a java thing?
Al

May 27, 2004 09:16 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST ??? For the New Owners

Posted By Alan Koff

As far as a high power EP for up-close limb/prom views, what is working for you? 4mm Radians? How much mag can they handle?
I won't be seeing mine until after the transit, but I thought I'd ask. Want to be looking for the 'perfect' EP to match it up with.
Clear horizons,
Al

June 8, 2004 12:03 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Transit-Myrtle Beach...Excellent

Posted By Alan Koff

Forecast was lousy, so when the Sun actually came out about ten minutes after sunrise, there it was. Venus' backside!!! I was fortunate to get over an hour of transit time observing. I had gotten out of bed twice in the predawn hours to check the seeing and my weather sites, and it didn't look promising at all.
If you got a chance to see it I don't have to tell you how rewarding it was. Even though my PST hasn't arrived, my 125 apeture at 100x gave large, sharp images.
Al 8)

July 22, 2004 06:15 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST Finally On The Way !!!

Posted By Alan Koff

I was finally notified that my PST is on the way. It is funny how since placing my order I have sold the two scopes I intended for piggybacking with the PST. I am now considering mounting it to my C-8 for tracking purposes and getting a white light filter. I had a Scopetronix solar filter on my old ETX 125, but was wondering which filters (manufacturers) others have had nice experiences with and would recommend?
As a cheap grab-and-go mount I was hoping to use a camera tripod, but would like other suggestions that won't 'break the bank'.
Thanks,
Big Al

July 28, 2004 11:09 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST Has Arrived...So Has a Frontal Boundary

Posted By Alan Koff

Yep, it finally arrived and it is sweet!!! In the time it took me to read the minimal instructions and walk it out to my pier mount and get it aligned, the clouds began moving in. I didn't even get it into sharp focus, so between cloud banks I messed around with the 18mm Cemax and the 12.5mm Kellner. The 18 gives a nice full disc view with good eye relief, but the 12.5 is a 'peep' sight EP at best, although the f/l is very useable. I could use some EP advice from any owners of the PST, my collection is mostly Naglers and Panis....lots of glass.
Clear skies,
Al

August 3, 2004 03:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

GSO EPS & Diagonals- Who Sells Them?

Posted By Alan Koff

Wondering if anyone can tell which distributor(s) sell them?
Anyone use there stuff?
Clear skies,
Al

August 3, 2004 08:53 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

First Nice Day With PST and A Nice Prom

Posted By Alan Koff

Finally got 30 minutes of clear sky, between clouds actually, and low and behold a beautiful prom. If anyone got a pic of this beauty please post it, it was about 1 PM EDT. Using the Cemax 18mm EP it was right in focus. I tried my Nagler 9mm for a close-up, I almost had to 'rack' the focuser to get into focus, the view was definitely sensitive with this EP.
I'm thinking of getting the other two Cemax EPs, anyone have them? How do you like them?
Clear skies,
Al

August 12, 2004 09:02 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

RA-88-SA Binoculars

Posted By Alan Koff

Just heard from Larry at Apogee and it looks like his new 90 degree binocs will be shipping to customers by next week. If you never had the chance to look through anything other than conventional straight-thru binocs, I'm sure you can appreciate the neck related issues they present.
I promise to post a review next week.
Al

August 21, 2004 04:03 PM Forum: Star Parties

Black Forest Star Party....Who's In?

Posted By Alan Koff

The count-down is underway and my new RA-88-SA binocs are in the house, so let's get psyched-up.
It's time to start doing the 'clear and very dark sky' dance.
I understand the weather this summer has been generally dismal, so it is time to talk it up if you are registered.
This will be my first Potter County visit, so I'm looking forward to this with great interest.
Who's in?
Al
Myrtle Beach, SC