Posts Made By: Steve Filipponi

November 7, 2002 07:01 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

November 16, 2002 06:51 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

How do we verify magnification?

Posted By Steve Filipponi

I picked up a pair of 30x60's and compaired to my 15x70's they seem more like 20x. Had some fun looking at the moon with one eye in each... They are made in China, J.C. Optics brand of the week, so I can't exactly vouch for the manufacturer's claim. They do work well though. So.... How do we check magnification? Any ideas.

November 29, 2002 06:58 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

20x80 by Burgess Optical ... WoW !!!...

I wasn't in the market for 20x80's but called him on his astro bino's. For $149.99 w/ BAK4 prisms and a 30 full return guarantee I said why not. I received the 20x80 LW and am honestly blown away. Big, hugh, expansive field of view, sharp easily to 90% of view. No need to send them back, I ordered a second set for a Christmas gift to a buddy. They're light, you can hand hold them, but a mount really does them justice. Saturn offers a clear seperation between the planet "ball" and rings. Absolutely no dissapointments... This thread doesn't do them justice..
Check them out www.burgessoptical.com

November 29, 2002 07:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

20x80's by Burgess Optical, very nice..

If you like it, tell you friends... So let me tell you. Great big sharp view, light weight. At $149.99 I thought I was taking a chance, 30 day return policy helped, but I have no intention of returning them.... I'm really impressed...

December 2, 2002 07:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What makes for a good Cheshire eyepiece?

Thin crosshairs, low price, easy to get? How's the Orion? Any thoughts?

December 5, 2002 02:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

When is the mirror in need of a bath?

How dirty is too dirty? What I'm really asking when does the view become effected? (Primary mirror of a reflector in my case.) What are the first visible signs during observing? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

December 13, 2002 09:01 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

What's your favorite double?

Almach? Alberio?.... (two of my favorites due to the colors and easy split) Not to mention Eta Cassiopeiae, (unequal double with some nice color contrast). What's yours? (Don't forget why you like it)

December 15, 2002 03:35 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Things that aren't there......

Now and then I will ask for some help on.... you guessed it..Things that aren't there... If you ask me, I'll tell you that these things simply don't exist... but I know better. Let's start with the Rosette Nebula, 10 inch reflector, f5 scope. Thousand Oaks OIII filter or the Sirius Optics Neb filter... and I'm beginning to think it's bigger than I've given it credit for. So let's go with a 26 or 32mm plossl. It's not there.... Any feedback would be much appreciated.

December 19, 2002 12:36 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Just when I thought the moon was bad..

I was always waiting for the moon to go for that dark sky experience. Sometimes I wouldn't even go out for anything but a quick look.... Then I go a binoviewer .. (Just in time for Christmas).. and WoW!!!!.... What a new appriciation for the moon. (I honestly was not taking advantage of it with one eye) But that binoviewer (Denkmeier) sure makes the moon a whole lot of fun. Not to mention that I have also found that a great amount of enjoyment can be had viewing double stars when the moon is prominent.

March 25, 2003 01:41 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

To bino-vue or not. Is it just my eyes?

It is all about what is the most fun and rewarding to you. That's the most important thing. Some objects are simply stunning w/ binoviewer. The Great Orion Nebula and the Moon. For me are views of a life time. No matter how I sliced it with one eye I couldn't come close the the jaw dropping awe I was getting on the Orion Neb. No way, No how. I wish I could get that kind of reward out of everything I observe w/ bino. On the majority of objects I've had second thoughts about the bino, cosidering the investment.....