My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Donald Durbin

June 7, 2005 01:11 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Bluebird

Posted By Donald Durbin

Taken with a Scopetronix MaxView Wide Angle 18mm Eyepiece, my Nikon 4300 and my Celestron 102 widefield scope.

Don Durbin

June 30, 2005 12:24 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Binoviewer Forum rules

Posted By Donald Durbin

To All,

This Binoviewer forum is open to all Astromart users. Its purpose is the discussion of Binoviewers and Accessories.

Please try keep your posts on the subject of Binoviewers,Accessories and items of interest to Binoviewer users.

Thank you
Don Durbin
Astromart Binoviewer Forum

July 17, 2005 02:47 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Burgess Binoviewer Corrector

Posted By Donald Durbin

Hi All,

I have to say that I really had doubts when I looked at that $29 corrector. It just looks like the lower element out of a Barlow with 1 1/4" thread.

I walked outside and I saw a hole through the cloud layer. I grabbed my Orion 8" Atlas and put it on the Orion Atlas mount. I swung around to the moon centered it in the finder and could not find it in the eyepiece. I really hate the dovetail finder mounts on the Orion DOBs and reflectors. After tuning to the brightest point with dec and RA and resetting the finder, I popped in the Burgess binoviewer with the corrector and could not quite focus. The 2" to 1 1/4" adapter was one of those high-hat with the 'T' threads. I went inside and got the ultra low profile adapter and slid the binoviewer with corrector home. I actually had to rack out a little to come to focus on the moon.

Bottom line is that it works!! :>) I admit I did not think it would. That 100mm light path has got to be the main factor in making that thing work.

I bet with a focal reducer and an extension tube I could get that 2X power down pretty low.

Don Durbin
Burgess BV125 Model C
Burgess binoviewer corrector
Original 22mm BlackNights with Diopters and focal reducer
45mm Elite BlackNights with Diopters
Sieberts 1.3X OCA, Sieberts UltraBarlow, Sieberts Multimag OCA.
(Semi, almost)Denk IIs
Denkmeier 2" SCT Star Diagonal (Modified)
Denkmeier 2" Star Sweeper SE
Denkmeier 1 1/4" Star Sweeper SE
SAC focal reducer
Meade ETX90
Stellarvue 102APO
Orion 100ED
Celestron C9.25
Orion Atlas 8"
50% Orion XT10
Meade 152ED
TAK FS-128
Coronado SM-40/BF10

August 8, 2005 02:12 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Burgess 6mm Planetary EPs

Posted By Donald Durbin

Hi All,

I took my new pair of 6mm Planetary EPs out for a quick spin around
Jupiter tonight. I used my TAK FS-128 so no optical correctors were
needed.

I decided I like these EPs. They are certainly worth the current
price of $49 each.

I compared the pair of 6mm Planetary EPs with a 6mm Expanse that I have. The contrast was better and the image was brighter in the Burgess EPs.

I compared the pair of 6mm Planetary EPs with my 9mm HD Ortho's. The image in the Ortho's was sharper, but that was more do to the 9mm versus 6mm view. I only mention these EPs because I got a surprising insight with them. I found that the Burgess pair of 6mm Planetary EPs required a half turn less in-travel on my TAK FS-128 than the HD Ortho's.

I compared the pair of 6mm Planetary EPs to a pair of Televue 4.8mm
Naglers. The pair of 6mm Planetary EPs lost that match up. The
Televue 4.8 Naglers had a slightly better image and required the
least in-travel of the EPs I tried. They also cost more than double.

I compared the pair of 6mm Planetary EPs with my pair of 8mm Televue
Plossl's. I think the Burgess pair of 6mm Planetary EPs had as sharp
an image as the 8mm Televue Plossls.

In the Burgess Binoviewer I did have a little problem with merging
these EPs at first. The step barrel allowed on of the EPs to cock
slightly. I had heard other people complain of this before but this
is the first time I experienced it. I wish the EPs would have come
with smooth barrels. Higher powered EPs are also naturally harder to
merge and required a more precise alignment.

In my 22mm Blacknight Binoviewer I did not have any problem with
these EPs. The BlackNight Self Centering Holders did the best job
holding these EPs

In my premium Denkmeier Binoviewer I did see a problem with the EPs
being slightly loose even when the SCDs were fully tightened. The
compression device hits the step ring in a bad place. Once again a
smooth barrel would have worked better here.

Don Durbin

August 31, 2005 10:26 AM Forum: Politics

Hurricane Katrina photo op

Posted By Donald Durbin

I hear that the President is planning to visit the areas damaged by Katrina.

What a waste of manpower and resources that are so desperately needed by the survivors of that disaster. Instead of helping people huge amounts of manpower will be expended ensuring the Presidents safety. Security will probably hold up hungry people waiting in line for food and water so our President can look Presidential.

I imagine it will be a good chance for a photo op for the President. We will probably see him handing out some food or consoling a grieving family or both.

Of course anything that will take peoples mind off Iraq is a welcome change for this President.

Don Durbin

December 1, 2005 09:30 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Profanity on the forum

Posted By Donald Durbin

To All,

I mantain a zero tolerance policy when it comes to any type of profanity on the forum.

I am sure we can all find ways of saying things withut resorting to unacceptable language.

Please take a moment to think before clicking on the post button.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Don Durbin
Binoviewer Forum

December 9, 2005 09:22 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Binoviewer Forum rules

Posted By Donald Durbin

To All,

I am going to have to pull the plug on manufactures announcements via third party participants.

I want to encourage everyone to express their opinions on their equipment based on their experience. If you are happy with your binoviewers or a particular pair of eyepieces that you own, we want to hear about it.

I encourage the forum to discuss with the group new information about current and new products, but I feel I need to draw the line at posting what appear to be advertisements for any particular manufacturer in the forum.

Thank You
Don Durbin
Astromart Binoviewer Forum Moderator

April 25, 2006 04:46 PM Forum: Binoviewers

ZenithStar 80mm SHORT

Posted By Donald Durbin

Hi All,

Well I pulled the trigger on a ZenithStar 80mm SHORT tube. That is the one setup for binoviewing. The stock lens that comes with it is a 480mm Doublet. The tube length is advertised as 11" fully retracted, but when talking to the manufacturer, there was a 12.4" number mentioned.

This assembly should focus any of the 100mm light path binoviewer just fine, but I would also like to focus my 45mm Elite binoviewer.

To increase my chances of that working I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Apograde Package. That lens has a focal length of 560mm which should allow the 45 Elite to focus.

I had WO include the original lens in the shipment to me for an ETX-70 project scope that I got on Astromart. That particular scope has an 80mm lens on it and I am hoping it will benefit from the switch to a WO stock Doublet.

I am also going to get a one piece long extension made so that I can use my new ZenithStar with my Cannon DSLR.

While I am doing this I will be trying out all my binoviewers on the new scope and I will post how many extensions each type needs to come to focus.

Of course this will mean N.E. Ohio should be clouded out for the next two or three weeks. shocked

Don 8)

May 17, 2006 11:37 PM Forum: Binoviewers

24MM Burgess Binoviewer

Posted By Donald Durbin

To All,

My 24mm Burgess binoviewer arrived today.

They came in a nice metal case. Also included were two 20mm BO Bino-Lites, an OCA, a par-focal ring, and an extra 50mm nose piece. The standard nose piece that comes on the binoviewer is 24mm in length. The extra nose piece is not an extension, it is a replacement for the existing nose piece.

I assume the purpose of the longer nose piece (when used with the supplied OCA) is to help you reach focus in a Newtonian telescope. The supplied par-focal ring is probably there to help you save your diagonal from abuse via this long nose piece.

I have horrible skies here now but I was able to get out around noon for a little solar observing through the holes in the clouds. I found the Bino-Lites to be very acceptable EPs for anyone who is just starting out in binoviewers. The are quite a bit better than the 26mm EPs I got with my first binoviewer.

The binoviewer came with the same three screw setup as the BV125C. Burgess says that the self centering EP holders will be sent out later at an additional cost of $40. (The unit cost as is shipped to my door was $259 plus $8.95 shipping for a total of $267.95)

The diopter adjustment is much nicer with a better feel than what was on the BV125C. One and 3/4 revolutions of the diopter adjustment gives you the total 5mm of travel.

In size and weight they appear identical to the BV125C unit. ( I did not actually put them on a scale, I just held them in my hands and I could tell no difference between the two units.)

So far they seem pretty nice. I took a business card and cut it to 24mm and stuck it down to the optical window. There is 24mm of clear aperture up there. I was curious about that. The optical windows of the BV125C is around 3 or 4 mm smaller. Just looking through them you can see it is a bigger prism.

So I now have a new binoviewer, a new power wheel, and a new 80mm Fluorite short tube that will focus any binoviewer in the known world. I also borrowed my nephews Bino Vue. grin

I will be playing with my new toys for a while.

Don

May 23, 2006 05:27 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Forum Focus

Posted By Donald Durbin

To All,

I have removed the thread that concerned my apology to Tom Hole. I apologize to the forum for starting an off topic thread. I seem to be apologizing a lot lately. Must be a phase I am going through.

I also know there are still some wounds that time will not heal. Maybe we could start a Veterans thread in the Off Topic forum and try to work through any lingering pain there.

Thanks
Don Durbin
Binoviewer Forum Moderator