Posts Made By: Lee Zagar

April 19, 2003 01:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Illuminated ep question

Posted By Lee Zagar

I believe the maximum voltage is 3V. A simple battery pack with a means to vary the voltage would do. I think Radio Shack sells a cigarette lighter adapter with the appropriate requirements.

Lee

April 20, 2003 01:28 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mounting a Televue STARBEAM Finder on a C-14 OTA

Posted By Lee Zagar

I have a Starbeam mounted on my LX-90. The Starbeam has one large thumbscrew that attaches and detaches it from the included mounting block, so you really don't need a dovetail mount. There are two kinds of mounting blocks, a flat one specifically for Tele-Vue telescopes and a "universal" mount with a curved bottom. You need to get the one with the curved bottom.

Lee

May 5, 2003 02:52 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

NGC3718

Posted By Lee Zagar

How's this? I reduced the gamma and adjusted the brightness and contrast.

Lee

August 26, 2003 01:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

2-inch Barlow under 2X?

Posted By Lee Zagar

Hands On Optics sells a Proxima 2" 1.5X barlow. I have one and it appears to be quite good.

Lee

September 16, 2003 05:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

49mm Filter and TV Diagonal Questions

Posted By Lee Zagar

Tom,

A 49mm filter is not the same as a 2" filter. A 2" filter is actuially 48mm and although close, a 49mm filter will not fit a 2" eyepiece or diagonal threads.

October 20, 2003 01:55 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

My first photo ever

Posted By Lee Zagar

Chris,

Looks good with nice round stars. I hope you dont mind, but I tried some reprocessing in Photoshop. Here is the result.

Lee

November 12, 2003 01:17 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Need adaptor recommendation

Posted By Lee Zagar

Mauricio,

The problem is that your Canon S400 has an external zoom lens with no filter threads, so you can not use a simple step ring to attach the camera to the Maxview 40, or any other eyepiece. The reason the Scopetronix attachment kit is so expensive is that it must attach to the outside of the lens and still allow it to extend and retract.

Unfortunately, the only other solution is to use one of the attachments that clamp to the outside of any eyepiece and hold the camera just in front of the eyepiece. Scopetronix sells those too, but it is not a very good arrangement because there is no physical connection of the camera lens and the eyepiece, so alignment, stray light and vignetting will surely be a problem.

November 14, 2003 06:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Short Tube 80 out of wack. Need help.

Posted By Lee Zagar

Ron,

You might find this useful.

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~bushd/tuneup.htm

Lee

November 16, 2003 06:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade ETX-90EC plus Olympus E-20N

Posted By Lee Zagar

The only way I know of to attach an Olympus E-20 is to use a Scopetronix (www.scopetronix.com) Maxview II eyepiece with a 58mm (eyepiece) to 62mm (E-20 lens)step ring. This arrangement is quite heavy and you will need some sort of counterweight on the ETX-90.

Lee

January 29, 2004 12:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Any sources for rubber eyeshields other than Orion

Posted By Lee Zagar

John,

Try www.scopestuff.com.

Lee