Posts Made By: Karl Adlon

September 3, 2009 08:00 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Little Blue

Posted By Karl Adlon

I found this little guy on the driveway. Gnats were buzzing around him. I think he ran into the window above the garage. I picked him up and set him on the patio table where I took this picture. We sat for a while until went to shoo a fly away, which startled Little Blue and he took flight. Guess he had recovered.

Thought you’d enjoy the picture. Taken with an old Olympus 2.1 meg pocket camera (if you have a big pocket).

Karl

July 8, 2011 11:29 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Three Pelican

Posted By Karl Adlon

These three Great American White Pelicans are waiting for stunned fish that pass under the roller dams at Lock & Dam 14 on the Mississippi River (Hampton, IL side).

Canon 20D with 300mm Olympus lens.

Karl A.

November 15, 2011 10:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Heated Socks

Posted By Karl Adlon

Not exactly equipment, but where else to ask?

I've tried insulated socks that are supposed to wick away moisture and insulated boots supposed to be good to -35F. Still my feet get cold and are moist when I remove the boots.

I'm considering some Firstgear Heated Sock advertised for motorcycle riders, they use 12 volts from the electrical system.
Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks for your response!
Karl Adlon
NW Illinois

January 5, 2012 12:09 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Wireless webcam for Venus transit?

Posted By Karl Adlon

The local college has a C8 and solar filter. They want to use a wireless webcam to put the Venus transit on their intranet.

Does anyone have experience with a wireless webcam for this application? Any webcam MFR / Model recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

Karl Adlon

August 7, 2012 09:08 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Where are the Goldfinch?

Posted By Karl Adlon

There are often goldfinch sipping from our birdbath, uspecially with the hot dry weather we've been having.

"Where are they?" this guy wants to know.

September 10, 2015 01:42 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

A Bird in the Hand . . .

Posted By Karl Adlon

This little guy flew into the window, but after a while recovered and flew straight to a nearby tree. Anyone know what he is?
Karl

September 29, 2011 10:18 AM Forum: After Dark

flash near Capella at 3:25 GMT

Posted By Karl Adlon

Looks like an Iridium flare.
See attached from heavens-above.com
The last line matched your particulars.
Wish us Clear Skies!
Karl Adlon
Port Byron, Illinois
USA

November 15, 2011 10:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Heated Socks

Posted By Karl Adlon

Here's a picture.

January 18, 2012 12:34 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

DSLR Modification options

Posted By Karl Adlon

Check out the websites of Hap Griffin and Gary Honis.

Note that some mods will cause auto focus to become inoperable and/or some lenses to not come to focus. I wouldn't, personally, want these because I want to use the camera for daytime photography also and I would pick a mod that didn't affect these.

It depends what you want.

Karl

March 23, 2012 12:46 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Fork vs GEM

Posted By Karl Adlon

I've abandoned my fork-mounted C8 in favor of a GEM. The 2 issues are swing-through and counterbalancing with a fork.
1 - Adding the camera to the rear of the SCT usually means a certain distance, sometimes significant, from the north celestial pole is unobservable. The camera impacts the fork drive base.
2 – Adding the camera and other accessories needs to be counterbalanced by adding weights. I’ve than found the mount to be too flexible.