My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Van Buskirk

December 14, 2002 10:30 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Re: Religious tolerance and science

Posted By Mike Van Buskirk

"As an athiest I CAN and DO tolarare religions and those that practice them ...

AS LONG AS their beliefs do not conflict with science.

I cann't tolerate Christian fundamentlist.
I cann't tolerate anyone who would attempt to use science to prove the existence of any god or ID in the universe."

That's a contradiction in terms Gary.
First you say you tolerate them and then you say you don't tolerate "Christian Fundamentalists."
Wouldn't that make your tolerance, intollerant?

Mike

September 14, 2003 09:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Ultima Binoculars covering coming off?

I have a pair of Celestron Ultima 8x56 binoculars that I have had for several years. I haven't used them in a long time and just a while ago I pulled them out of the case and noticed that the smooth, leather-like covering they have is coming off in three different spots. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Thanks

October 6, 2003 12:14 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Buskirk - Josephus part 1 and 2 now ready

Mike C,

I am no expert on Josephus so discussing his writtings would not be very helpful. In regards to Dr. Maier and your rebuttal to him, that too would be unfruitful as he is a scholar and you and I are not as far as I know.
It seems that you and I are not going to come to any agreement on this subject anyhow as every expert I respect you will have someone who's opinion you regard more highly and this would only end up being a stalemate discussion.

God Bless

Mike

October 7, 2003 01:12 AM Forum: Religion

This forum is tough to follow

Do you guys feel the same way?
Most forums are layed out so that answering a former post is much easier. This forum requires you to cut and paste quotes so that you can figure out who is referring to what. Haha

Mike

October 9, 2003 12:21 PM Forum: Religion

C.S. Lewis was right

I think C.S. Lewis' quote from his book, Mere Christianity was correct:

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."

Mike

October 10, 2003 01:51 AM Forum: Religion

Scientists who believed

I find it odd how great men of science such as Sir Issac Newton, Johann Kepler, Robert Boyle, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Loius Pasteur, Lord Kelvin, William Mitchell Ramsay, John Ambrose Fleming, Werner Von Braun and Albert Einstein all believed in a Creator, and yet many atheists consider us Christians to have left our brains at the door to the church entrance because we believe. I am proud to be named amongst this group of noble men who believed, even though some were not Christians such as Einstein.

Mike

December 4, 2003 02:18 AM Forum: Religion

Speaking of evolutionary theory

Since this subject has been discussed so much lately, I was wondering how scientists explain why Venus is the only planet in our solar system to rotate clockwise?
I just learned this fact today and thought it was fascinating?

November 15, 2002 03:56 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

First Moon Shot

Very nice Christopher!

Very sharp optics from an SCT.

Mike

November 16, 2002 10:00 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Why is astronomy seemingly so male-dominated?

I think most things that are more scientific minded attract men more than women.

Mike

November 22, 2002 03:14 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Jealous??

Sorry guys I'm not into college football, but I watch the NFL. Go Raiders!

Mike