Posts Made By: Michael Franzyshen

November 27, 2004 06:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Finder on a Televue Pronto?

Posted By Michael Franzyshen

Has anyone mounted a traditional finder on the Televue Pronto? I have have a zero-power finder, but at times I need a little magnification - something like a 6x30 could deliver. I know I can use low power eyepieces to yield "finder-like" views - up to about 4 degrees - but it's not the same.

I have the Pronto mounted using the Televue clam-shell ring. The ring has recessed mounting holes for accessories like the star-beam and Sol-Finder. I would prefer not to "sticky" something to the Pronto tube. Ideally the finder could be attached to the Televue clam-shell ring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

April 6, 2005 08:09 PM Forum: Refractors

80mm Refractor Recommendation

I'm considering purchasing one of the 80mm apo/semi-apos that seem so popular today. With the recent offerings from Orion, William Optics and others, I'm wondering what other people are purchasing. How do you rate the optical quality of these 80mm OTAs selling for under 1,000.00. What am I giving up when I spend less than $1000.00 vs. the 80mm triplet some manufacturers offer for $1500.00+? Are the differences related to color correction, fit/finish, optical quality - or a combination of all of the above? Any insight/experience would be appreciated.

February 12, 2007 09:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Prime Focus - Canon XTi/400 and Astro-Tech 66

Is anyone using the Canon Rebel XTi/400 with the Astro-Tech 66 ED/APO? I'm having trouble getting the scope to come to a focus with the Canon XTi attached. I've only tested terrestially but tried to focus on objects about 1/2 mile away. I've tried a variety of extension tubes (Orion, etc) but don't have enough in/back focus (depending on adapter tube I'm using). I'm trying to find a combination that works both terrestially and astronomically. Any details on the exact hardware and brand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

February 26, 2007 10:29 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

AP900GTO Goto Accuracy

Can anyone comment on the goto accuracy of the AP900GTO mount? I have an AP900GTO mount from a 2006 production run and have been struggling with getting the goto to work accurately. Of course I've done the required polar alignment and either a one or two star alignment. The tracking on the mount is terrific with very low periodic error.

I may be dealing with orthoganality issues (AP 130 EDT, Losmandy Rings/Plate), but I need to sync on a nearby star (about 10 degrees) before going to my object. This usually puts the object in the eyepiece (16mm Nagler) but not in the center - near the outer edge. Putting an object on a small chip (DSI/ST-7XME) is going to be really tough. Without a sync, goto is worse -- sometimes the object is in the field, sometimes not. The mount is setup as a portable mount (not permanently mounted). I would also like to avoid running TPOINT if possible.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated --

March 12, 2007 10:00 PM Forum: Meade

8" Light Bridge - Collimation Issues

Is anyone having trouble with their Light Bridge holding collimation? I collimate my 8" every time I take it out and sometimes it's off mid-way through the evening! This is frustrating -- any suggestions (I've checked the obvious loose screws, etc)?

March 12, 2007 10:06 PM Forum: Meade

Meade 8" Light Bridge - Focuser

While I'm on the subject of the Meade 8" Light Bridge, does anyone have any recommendations for replacing the focuser? I find the stock focuser to be just barely functional/adequate. The focuser even has trouble bringing a 19" Panoptic to focus (I need to pull the eyepiece 1/4" out of the focuser. I like the Moon Light series of focuser (CR1, CR2), but they're expensive. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

March 15, 2007 03:16 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

10" AP Mak-Cass - Original Price??

Does anyone know the original price of AP's 10" Mak-Cass? I know this was a limited production scope and is a very highly regarded instrument. There's one currently offered in Astromart's auction for 25K (ouch).

March 15, 2007 06:51 PM Forum: Meade

LX200 Mounting Assistants/Plates

Can anyone comment on their experience (good/bad) with the mounting assistant they use with their Meade LX200? I've looked at several and would like some feedback before purchasing one for my 8" LX200. The Peterson Engineering looks good -- Any comments welcome!

August 22, 2007 06:15 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Astronomy - Oberserving/Hours/Quitting Time

I'd be interested in hearing from other amateurs regarding how many times they get out a week/month, how long (in hours) their average session is and their quitting time. I only get out once or twice a month for about 4-5 hours and usually quit around 1:00 AM. Please let me know if you're a visual observer or doing imaging. I'm primarily a visual observer, but getting more involved in imaging (those sessions tend to be a little longer).

November 13, 2012 02:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: SCT replacement focuser

Starlight Instruments makes a 2 speed micro-focuser for most C8s (if not all, many C8 models used the exact same OTA). Very good quality, easy to install and replaces the existing focusing mechanism. You can find them at: www.starlightinstruments.com