ATWB Customer Gallery

Bird on a wire

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Larry Stange

November 7, 2002 02:23 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Using Generic Digital Camera w/telescope?.

Posted By Larry Stange

Some difficulty in obtaining decent trial photos is being experienced. Even if I make a clamp mount to place camera over eyepiece flush it has poor field of view. Tried removing eyepiece and using camera as a lens failed miserably, no object focus within the range of the focus tube and a small circle of light only. Target was a street lamp housing about 100 ft. away. Is this how it is going to be?, with little hope of getting a pic I can blow up of a small Venus eyepiece image using Adobe PhotoDeluxe?.

November 8, 2002 02:48 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Attention: Paul Hyndman & Jim Mills

Posted By Larry Stange

Paul & Jim thankyou for your answers. Paul that photo is "extrodinaire" you did that with a common store digital camera and a 8" reflector or refractor?. Waiting anxiously for your answer.....
Jim...Sounds like I have hope then. Could you direct me to where your pictures are?. I found the URL but was unable to get into it to locate your pictures. I am EXTREMELY interested now that I know I'm on the right track!! All of this will cause me to upgrade out of a 4" refractor from Celestron into their 6" refractor. Just restarted an old hobby and am in a pre-Nova state. :-)

November 10, 2002 09:57 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

*Hi-Tech* question :-) -from a novice.

Posted By Larry Stange

I am designing (another) camera mount, this time without an EP diagonal for a common Fujifilm 2400 digital camera. My problems have been two-fold, focus and camera alignment. Ignoring focus techniques for right now....my question is:
Can I modify my 4" refractor objective lens cover by "melting" a small pin hole using a hot pin in the exact center of the cover to get diffraction rings from a local light source?. If it can work....I could be sure the camera is aligned by the symetricity of the diffraction rings around the pinhole light source.....or is my thinking incorrect?. I cannot use a star for this purpose. I have neither the high power EP(only have a 20 mm.), clockdrive, or viewing location at this time and must work indoors through a window to view anything afterward...so this is just to guarantee alignment of camera lenses only. Thankyou for carefully reading this post and any comments or answers. -Larry

November 10, 2002 06:14 PM Forum: Celestron

Celestron C102-HD & CR150-HD optics/availability.

Posted By Larry Stange

2 questions here. 1st question. Recently heard from a dealer that Celestron is no longer manufacturing the CR150-HD even tho the catalogs just recieved show them. Is this true?.

2nd question. Have read threads and received warning from that same Celestron dealer that the Chromatic abberation on the C102-hd's thru CR150-HD's has been really bad and everyone should check them out before purchase.... (incidently, wonder how you do that without buying it first?.). I am considering a CR150 purchase.

November 12, 2002 12:42 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Planet imaging of my problems (picture)

Posted By Larry Stange

Major (heat?) shimmering is destroying my ability to enjoy this hobby. I no longer think it is just the Celestron C-102-HD telescope. Am restricted to CITY & WINDOW viewing 30 miles North of Sacramento(Yuba City) at 30 degrees above horizon. Is there anything to solve this shimmer problem without moving to another location?. -Larry

November 12, 2002 10:24 PM Forum: Celestron

Celestron service -on a positive note...

Posted By Larry Stange

Recently been asking a bunch of questions addressed to support...each time an answer came back same day. The only thing I "really" would like to see is direct buying from the company....to many dealers play "mark it MSRP plus $100 more" around here. Reference was Consumer report for CR-150, Manufactures suggested retail price = $700, Local dealers here want $800. Apparently the normal wholesale/retail 30%-45% markup doesn't fill the trough when they belly up to it.

November 12, 2002 11:29 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Minimum power for 1 or 2 diffraction rings?.

Posted By Larry Stange

Using Pollux, a 1.0 magnitude star with a f10 4" refractor, what would be the MINIMUM power(or ocular F.L.) to obtain at least 1 diffraction ring for checking the optical path for camera alignment?. Sorry for dumb question...It has been too many years(decades) since I played with telescopes. I have on hand only a 20mm plossl. A 2X barlow will be coming giving me 10mm, will 100X be enough?. -Larry

November 13, 2002 02:05 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Paul B. they shouldn't be. Haven't had any rent..

Posted By Larry Stange

Have not received any rent in the 3 years we moved here.... "bunch of free-loaders" I guess. But they ARE quiet so I guess I'm lucky. The roof is steel tile which makes an observatory difficult to construct rain-tight, but an option would be putting in another skylight which opens to the east in the upstairs attic with an entry door off of the top bedroom into the attic. I have thought about the door in the past for additional storage anyway. Wife's budget would not like any of these ideas.....however. Tough being retired sometimes. :-)

November 13, 2002 06:46 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Michael Burr's First light I thru V. GREAT JOB!.

Posted By Larry Stange

REALLY interesting reading even to those like myself that are using two magnifyng glasses. You write very well and got your thoughts across so that anyone can identify easily, (including the excitement) of that nights encounter. -Larry

November 14, 2002 01:27 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing