Posts Made By: Larry Stange

December 15, 2002 06:57 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Steven -smunch replied by e-mail....

Posted By Larry Stange

Steve Chambers thought that the digital stream would be less likely to provide a critical focus indication as would the processed signal deeper in the computer. He is an impressive person with a LOT of smarts!. I will look at the digital A/D stream to see what happens in and out of focus just for knowledge sake. It would be great if there is a visible change 'cause it would allow instantaneous adjustment without waiting for the processed image from the computers long number crunching. (Tried to post earlier...but it got lost somewhere.). -Larry

December 15, 2002 11:56 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

If UFO's were true....

Posted By Larry Stange

Would not an ARMY of world wide amateur astronomers have gathered a preponderance of supporting photographs?. Perhaps there is no real credence to it after all...except for the few of us that have been "Taken" during afternoon cocktails. :-)

December 16, 2002 07:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Free copy of CG-5 RA, DEC, & Worm Gear adj.

Posted By Larry Stange

Apparently listing in Drives etc. is not legal, therefore I will try HERE. A copy of Celestrons adjustment proceedure has been placed on my website in a special catagory with this direct link to it. It is in .pdf format and is 600K. If anyone needs a copy or knows of someone...it can be downloaded at http://merlincorp.com/~barfitup/images/gear.pdf Hope this does not violate rules. I am trying to help others like myself that needed this info. -Larry

December 17, 2002 12:36 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Looking for my wafer & grape juice.

Posted By Larry Stange

Did I miss the feeding?.

December 18, 2002 04:39 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

anyone using a Philips Vesta PCVC675K for...

Posted By Larry Stange

for Jupiter or saturn photographs without the time shutter modif. on a 5"-6" refractor right now?. Would like to see an image. Finally found one like new.

December 18, 2002 06:14 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Noah's ark and the dead sea scrolls.

Posted By Larry Stange

Excellent story on rediscovering the evidence for Noah's 4300 yr old ark can be found at Http://www.wyattarchaeology.com/noah.htm

Trying to use the Bible as CONCLUSIVE proof of anything is meaningless if the history of the Dead Sea Scrolls is examined in detail.

Arguments of Faith never end , because it is just that...faith. An instrument cannot calibrate itself even though it contains some measure of accuracy. Especially when there exists such a wide latitude of interpretations since the first ancient Greek codecs and scrolls were discovered.

December 18, 2002 07:23 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

When every "discovery" has been read.......

Posted By Larry Stange

Then go to the upper right hand corner and read about "Ron".

Now here is clear *PROOF* for whichever side anyone cares to argue.....or we could just go back to faith and forget about proof. :-)

December 19, 2002 06:59 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Does Philips Vesta run powered continuously?

Posted By Larry Stange

Before I dig into the webcam, I noticed it does not power down at any time although shutter can be stopped by the software. Is this normal?. Unplugging the USB connector seems to be the only way other than adding a switch on webcam body to shut off the +5V. The help file does not address powering down.

Software in Logitech products allow total shut down without unplugging.

December 20, 2002 08:03 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Where's exit for Black Holes in curved space?

Posted By Larry Stange

If it's going in.....it must be coming out somewhere right?. Maybe the opposite side of an inside sphere?. Or Klines Bottle maybe?.....maybe I should stick to smashing atoms on the sidewalk with a hammer.

December 28, 2002 12:39 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Dead Horse Resusitation....CHEAP Elect. Focus

Posted By Larry Stange

-The following information is offered for those like myself that prefer to make their own equipment rather than buy ready-made *overpriced* in a box.
-This photo included, shows the adaption of a cheap RA 9V. clock drive to a focuser shaft on a telescope. It does require redrilling the coupler to accept the large size focus shaft.
-First trial test indicate the motor DOES NOT transmit any mechanical vibration to the telescope even at large powers.
-The focusing is slow granted....but this is what we really want for critical adjustments right?.
-I found it was easy enough to reverse the motor and stop the motor without adding an extension box and cable to do those controlling functions. I may add them anyway.... I did add a remote control. Works great!.
-The only drawback to this quick and dirty system is....you must focus closely first before tightening the set screw....and the setscrew should be in the middle of a convienant spot which is set by the motor. This is so you can go both ways with the drive control. I may notch the mtg. plate to allow full rotation of the setscrew..."Maybe".
-I used two of the BOTTOM screws of the focuser worm-gear cover plate to secure the plate. -LarryS.
(Incidently- the taped Logitech mess on the tube is for trial purposes...not the planned real stuff in this "upstairs" observatory.) :-)