Posts Made By: dan hilts

June 23, 2005 06:16 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Re: amazing new Semi-ED refractors

Posted By dan hilts

Nobody cried foul when Vixen introduced their NA series scopes. A neo-achromat? now what the heck is that? Just another round of marketing hype, a new name for an old concept.

So how come every one gets excited over the latest hype from China? It is what it is and it will fail or flourish based on what it delivers, not what it promises.

Now since these new Chinese scopes are Petzval designs or an variation of, could it be they actually use ED in the secondary element? Sort of a semi-ED scope since only half the objective has ED? Does anyone really know?

clear skies,
dan

June 25, 2005 12:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: most knowledgeable

Posted By dan hilts

<>

I believe there are others and could be more.

I agree with Tom. This kind of "beauty pagent" does nothing to encourage participation at any level. Nobody wants to be in second place or lost in the shadows.

regards,
dan

August 3, 2005 12:48 PM Forum: Eyepieces

1.25 filters, thread size

Posted By dan hilts

Anyone know what the correct specs are for the threads on standard eyepiece filters , 1.25" size? 2" size?

thanks
dan

August 17, 2005 11:36 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: Ugliest Scope Contest! X 3

Posted By dan hilts

Here's some of my ugly finders.
1) ABS 80mm F5
2) Nice erect image 60mm F6
3) 50mm rework of an edu-science refractor.

enjoy!
dan

August 17, 2005 11:40 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: Ugliest Scope Contest

Posted By dan hilts

A real old Newt that lives in the back of the shed.

clear skies,
dan

August 17, 2005 11:53 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: Ugliest Scope Contest - original CCD

Posted By dan hilts

Here's an original CCD camera offered by Kodak. An Amazing 8 pounds, 1.3mega pixel, fully automatic, complete with a tethered operation using SCSI interface. Kodak no longer supports this issue and it will not work on Windows 2000. Trouble is, todays PC hardware won't run on the WIN95.

This camera sold for over 15Kus when first released. No, I didn't pay for it.

clear skies,
dan

October 6, 2005 05:31 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: Best material for alt-az bearing?

Posted By dan hilts

I agree with David's comment that the pads seem very large for a small scope. I have a heavy 4" F15 on a similar type setup and I don't think my pads are half the size of yours. Even then it is too smooth and although I have no trouble with it now, nobody else can use it without knocking it off target.

I also like Erik's suggestion of using some carpet. I think I will try it between the teflon pads. Stick it down with some double sided tape so it can be easily removed if it doesn't help.

have fun,
dan

March 21, 2006 07:10 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Fun Targets

Posted By dan hilts

Besides the obvious targets of moon, Saturn, Jupiter, and M13 etc, what other "fun" targets do folks like to show to begginers or vistors at star parties? I am thinking of things like the Christmas Tree, E.T., the diamond ring etc.

clear skies are coming (soon I hope)

dan

March 24, 2006 12:00 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Evolution of the Astronomical Eyepiece

Posted By dan hilts

Here's a link to a site that has an extensive article- 60pages - detailing the evolution of the eyepiece. There's a little technical stuff for those who want it but it is fairly easy reading and there's a lot of general interest info as well.

clear skies,
dan

http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/BOOKS/EVOLUTIONofEYEPIECES.pdf

July 25, 2006 12:08 PM Forum: Refractors

3 arc minute limit

Posted By dan hilts

In Ed Moreno's review of the Celestron 80ED he states "the collimation error is WELL within the 3 arc-minute limit required for high-contrast viewing."

This limit is something I have never heard of before. Can someone fill me in? Where does the limit come from? Any references to literature I can obtain?

thanks, and clear skies,
dan