Posts Made By: dan hilts

December 25, 2009 05:28 PM Forum: Prayer Line

That feeling of dread is back!

Posted By dan hilts

I believe that Life presents us with the same lessons over and over until we learn them. Sometimes, I learn what I need to know from the first lesson, other times I am more stubborn and have to suffer through it again. Sometimes I can learn what I need to, by quiet relection. Other times I need to share my experiences and hear what others have to offer.

I also believe God will never give us anything we are not prepared to deal with, be it pain or prosperity. We are only as strong as our faith.

Know that you are NEVER alone.

dan

January 1, 2010 02:58 PM Forum: Star Parties

WSP 2010 Tickets?

Posted By dan hilts

I rec'd my package early November. Why not send a note to the registrars? They will know for sure what's going on with your ticket. You might want to check and see if the check was ever cashed.

good luck,
dan

January 3, 2010 03:19 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ISS transits the moon

Posted By dan hilts

A great series of shots. My wife took one look at it and said, " It looks like a bunch of Canada flags."

dan

January 6, 2010 11:52 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

sharing my unhepiness!

Posted By dan hilts

Wow! Hijacked videos!

It looks to me like someone has made a poor attempt at humor and they have used your video to do it.

'perhaps a "fry on the rens" of the camera'

'Italian scientist Georgio Pacelli working with the CSA claimed "it looka likea da bakeda beana".'

I don't think this is meant to be taken as a serious news story. Look at it this way, your doctored video will probably be imbededded in every UFO documentary ever produced from this day forward. Your have become immortal!

Seriously though, I'd be upset if it were my work that was used. Sorry to hear of your loss.

dan

January 7, 2010 04:33 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M42

Posted By dan hilts

I don't normally comment on images posted because I have no hands on experience with astrophotography but that is one beautiful image! I think it is a gross understatement to call it an "attempt at imaging".

dan

January 10, 2010 06:21 PM Forum: Reflectors

Airline Portable DOBs

Posted By dan hilts

You may want to check with the airlines as to what they will now allow on a flight and what they won't. Certainly international flights have been impacted by the recent terrorist activity. I know I can't get my airline protable DOB an a flight from Toronto to Newark. It must go as checked baggage or not at all. All carry on has been reduced to the absolute minimum.

What was airline protable before may now be restricted goods.

good luck,
dan

January 10, 2010 06:27 PM Forum: APM

The worm has turned??

Posted By dan hilts

<< what's so special about his stuff versus everyone else? Especially since his prices seem to be many hundreds more?>>

Markus does promise APM quality control. That is of value and can be expensive if it is to be effective in weeding out sub-standard product.

"trust the quality controle of APM and place your order today"

dan

January 13, 2010 07:14 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Widefields: Are They Worth It?

Posted By dan hilts

I like a clean crisp FOV without a lot of seagulls, fuzzballs or fireworks at the edge. I also like wide field viewing more than high power stuff. I have looked through the Ethos and was impressed but not enough to part with the funds to buy two or three and owning only one does not make sense.

I really like the views thorugh my 24Pan and 13mm and 9mm Naglers. I also have a 17mm Nagler that I have yet to put in a scope. So far this collection has probably cost me about $150/hr of viewing. Hopefully that will decrease in the near future.

I have always been content once the field stop is out of my view. I simply can't justify ever buying an Ethos given the skies around here and the time I can dedicate to viewing.

dan

January 18, 2010 05:48 PM Forum: Refractors

Anyone Air-Traveled with a Small Refractor Lately?

Posted By dan hilts

I just completed a business trip to the US from Canada. The trip included a couple of US domestic flights. From what I experienced, security for US domestic flights was much looser than that for flights entering the US. Certainly carry-on for doemstic flights did not seem to be restricted compared to recent past times.

I wasn't carrying a scope but after the experiences I had in Toronto on a trip to Philly, I expected a lot more from the TSA. The US domestic flights were actually enjoyable, (including the security checks at Philly). If you don't plan on leaving the US, I don't think think you will have any difficulties.

good luck,
dan

January 20, 2010 02:05 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

NGC 2040

Posted By dan hilts

I have glimpsed the Horsehead through the 36" Yard Scope at WSP in the Florida Keys with Orion as high as possible. I believe an Ha filter was the filter used. Even with that much aperature under excellent skies, it was not well defined.

Good luck with your quest.
dan