My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Craig Burlette

November 13, 2004 08:40 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Meade Deep Sky Imager

Posted By Craig Burlette

Is anyone using Meades new Deep Sky Imager? I am currently using an unmodified Toucam 740k and am considering adding the DSI to my Christmas list. In paticular I would like to know if this would be a good upgrade if I want to continue to image the planets, and add some deep sky stuff. How does the chip size/capabilities compare to the Toucam? It looks like the shutter speed is flexable enough to do planetary imaging as well as deep sky, would anyone dissagree with that statement?

Thanks in advance
Craig Burlette

February 24, 2005 06:57 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Attaching mirror to the cell with glue?

Posted By Craig Burlette

After reading the Sky & Telescope article on designing mirror cells using a program called "PLOP" I've decided that my UO cell is a less than optimal design. One question I have is how secure and safe is it to attach the mirror to the cell using silicone adhesive? Has anyone done this, or has anyone had their mirror come loose? What is the preferable adhesive, RTV?

Thanks in advance
Craig Burlette

February 24, 2005 07:21 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Olympus EVOLT E-300

Posted By Craig Burlette

Anyone using one of the new generation D-SLR camera's, particularly the Olympus Evolt? This sounds like a good camera with an 8mp sensor and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it's sutability as an astro camera.

Thanks in advance
Craig Burlette

June 18, 2017 08:09 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Nikon D5000

Posted By Craig Burlette

I'm getting back into astronomy and would like to do a little astrophotography and photograph the solar eclipse this summer. I have a Nikon D5000 camera and a couple lenses that I inherited a few years ago. My question is how suitable is the D5000 to this task? Would I be better off buying a newer camera? And if so what would be a better choice?

Thanks
Craig Burlette

February 12, 2003 07:09 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Rotating Tube Rings

Posted By Craig Burlette

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm thinking about making a set for myself more as a winter time project than anything else.

April 8, 2003 06:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Source for counter weight's

Posted By Craig Burlette

I'm looking for a source for counterweight's, anyone know where I can buy resonably priced counterweight's?

July 27, 2003 03:21 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Fiberglass tube construction

Posted By Craig Burlette

Sean, I recently added a layer of fiberglass to the outside of my sonotube to stiffen it up a little. While preping it I came up with a different way of doing it, but have yet to try. The "good" sonotube has a layer of plasitc inside that is meant to help release it from the concrete that is pored into it. I figured I could lay a couple of layers inside the tube, these would be the inside of the scope so wouldn't have to be perfect, but relatively good. Then peal the cardbord off of the fiberglass. The last layer sholud release from the fiberglass easily. Then a little sanding and another layer or two of fiberglass, taking care to get a good layup and you should have a decent tube. A good epoxy paint on the outside and you couldn't tell it from a parks tube!

July 27, 2003 05:06 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Fiberglass tube construction

Posted By Craig Burlette

I solved the wax problem, and the problem of the "logo" on the tube by removing the outer layer of paper. This also solved the problem of the little lump where the outer layer of paper overlaps as they finish the outside of the tube. I also removed an inner layer of paper, to get rid of the plastic/wax that coats the inside of the tube. This had the added benefit of leaving a rough/fuzz on the inside of the tube, which with a coat of flat black paint kinda resembles flocking paper but isn't quite that good.

August 15, 2003 08:45 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First Mars with a Borrowed ToUcam

Posted By Craig Burlette

Wow, those sure are great shots! Is the ToUcam really that much better than the Vesta, or are you just getting better? I just picked up a vesta and hope it wasn't a bad choice.

August 22, 2003 06:10 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Low Profile Focuser Adjustment

Posted By Craig Burlette

Steve, I'm not one of the experts but I can say that you should have no mechanical problem moving the secondary forward a couple of inches to achieve focus. The only problem becomes stray light entering the focuser because of the lack of length. You could always add a dew shield which will act as a baffel in front of the focuser.