Posts Made By: Dan Goldberg

December 22, 2002 06:56 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

DIY Dew Heater?

Posted By Dan Goldberg

The electronics aren't a problem for me. What I'm having a little trouble determining, though, is how much power is enough? I live in Vancouver where it's very humid...

I don't want to create some overpowering heater that will ruin my views so what should I be shooting for when heating a 4" MAK's objective, for example?

I intend to make variable levels of heating power, but I don't know where to start. 5W for the objective? Maybe the same for EP's?

Thanks for your ideas,

Dan

January 7, 2003 12:26 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Handy website with seeing info, etc.

Posted By Dan Goldberg

Have any of you visited cleardarksky.com? I chanced upon it the other day and they tabulate seeing conditions and provide observing forecasts based on meteorological data for most parts of the USA and Canada, in addition to a lot of other interesting data like light pollution maps, etc.

I just thought it was pretty neat. Maybe it's old news, I don't know!

January 13, 2003 07:16 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Public observing and expensive equipment

Posted By Dan Goldberg

Most kids are OK, though I too have experienced the absolutely terrible, hyperactive little monsters that don't listen to instructions, have no patience and run around screaming. They're accidents waiting to happen. I had one kid touch the objective on my Mak, and while not cataclysmic in nature I don't need to tell you how hard it is to clean telescope optics.

I think a lot of causal observers and parents have no concept of how sensitive some telescopes and their associated electronics can be and how expensive they can get. My distress didn't even register with the father when his son pawed my optics.

March 4, 2003 09:35 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Re: Here is a list

Posted By Dan Goldberg

Many of those (US) companies do not produce weapons or anything near. Perhaps it's implied that they provided services and/or (test) equipment that could have been used for the development and/or construction of weapons?

If so, I don't see why that would be surprising to anyone.

April 13, 2003 08:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

No color on Webcam?

Posted By Dan Goldberg

So I hooked my old webcam up to my telescope for some fun and I can bring it near to focus, but I'm not seeing any color when testing it in broad daylight. Software is fine.

I've got a couple theories as to why this is happening, but I'd appreciate yours if possible. I'm thinking that the sensor is off axis. Any thoughts?

May 13, 2003 05:53 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re: Problems with pier

Posted By Dan Goldberg

Why not use both? The sand can fill the gaps between the shot to provide a higher overall mass and a more solid feel. It would be a lot more work though because you would have to do it in layers and then try to somehow vibrate the grains of sand into the already very small shot. If you were to use bigger shot or steel BB's, then it would be easier.

May 21, 2003 05:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Helical focusers

Posted By Dan Goldberg

It depends on the model of the focuser. It's much easier to make a helical focuser that turns everything downline from itself, but it is possible to have one that does not.

Depending on the specific focuser itself, you may be able to actually put the device after your diagonal, etc., and just turn the eyepiece. There are focusers of this design available as well, I believe.

There are also crayford focusers that can provide smooth and very fine focus capability by use of vernier reduction drives.

June 3, 2003 03:41 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

First totally clear night of the year...

Posted By Dan Goldberg

in Vancouver: officially declared heinous!

"It was midnight, but I wasn't sure if it was even dark out!" said Tasco Starguide 4. "The sky was almost casting a shadow! I wanted to shoot myself in the head, but I'm a telescope and Dan hasn't got a gun."

"M13 and M3 were barely distinguishable blobs, and M57 was literally on the borderline of perception only marginally improved with the use of a Parks ALP," Dan said. "But, at least my corrector didn't dew up! Galaxies? Forget it!"

June 4, 2003 06:03 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Re: A list of good observing sites?

Posted By Dan Goldberg

Try cleardarksky.com as a starting point. It offers observing weather reports for many sites categorized by province/state.

June 8, 2003 11:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

EQ-6 users? Alternate suggestions?

Posted By Dan Goldberg

I'm thinking of a new setup and I know I want a C9.25. I've looked through one, I liked it, price is acceptable. Drool, drool. That's settled. What I need to know is what can I put under it on a budget?

I'm looking at the EQ-6. I have seen the Cloudy Nights reviews and I am aware of the generally positive sentiment towards this mount, but I would like to hear some first hand opinions if any are available. I intend to, at some point, upgrade the mount with DSC's or even GoTo because I have become quite lazy thanks to my current GoTo setup. I would like to know what success anyone has had in this respect.

Is there another mount that might be better suited to me considering that I am on a limited budget? Should I spring for the NexStar GPS setup and get my GoTo and everything at once. I haven't ever had the chance to see a NexStar GPS nor have I seen an EQ-6 so I would be buying entirely on second hand info.

Use will be exclusively visual. Current scope is a Tasco Starguide 4 (AKA Nexstar 4), for what it's worth, and before that I used an equatorially mounted reflector.

Thanks all.