Posts Made By: Luis De Vivero

April 3, 2014 04:23 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

TV Genesis SDF vs Astro-Tech 111EDT or Meade 6000 115mm Apo

Posted By Luis De Vivero

How do these triplets stand up to a 20 year old Televue Genesis SDF for visual observations (planets, clusters, nebulas)? Is the Meade or Astro Tech consider an upgrade to the SDF?

January 29, 2003 06:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade VS celestron.

Posted By Luis De Vivero

I did plenty of research on the the 2 scopes before I purchased the Nexstar 5i. This little scope held it's own against the TeleVue 102 APO. See the review on cloudynights.com. The scope is very easy to set up(less than 5 minutes). The construction is top notch (metal vs the ETX Plastic). Plus you get a free tripod and computer hand controller until 1-31-03 with the Nexstar. The cost would be $300.00 more with the ETX. I have been very pleased with the views. Especially after replacing the standard prism diagonal with a StellarVue Enhanced Mirror Diagonal. Purchase the Celestron, you won't be disappointed. Good Luck & Clear Skies, Luis!

February 13, 2003 03:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

2" Diagonal

Posted By Luis De Vivero

Thank You for your responses. I will purchase the Williams Optics SCT Diagonal. I like the fact that the Williams Diagonal includes a compression ring with their 1.25" adapter. Hence giving it the edge over the StellarVue version which uses a nylon tipped locking screw (personal preference). Clear Skies to all, Luis!

March 3, 2003 04:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Binoculars For Eyeglass Wearers

Posted By Luis De Vivero

Chech out bigbinoculars.com

I own a pair of Oberwerk 8x56's (2.25 lbs). The eye relief is 24mm and they come with fold down rubber eyecups. Their excellent general purpose astronomy binos and have great light transmission. Another option for you could be a pair of 11x56's with 19mm of eye relief. If you want to step up to some Big Binos the their 11x70's (3.1 lbs) with 23mm of eyerelief would be a good choice. Oberwerks binos have received excellent reviews and are very well priced. Check out Cloudynights.com for their review on the 11x70's. Clear skies and good luck Chas, Luis.

May 9, 2003 03:54 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

2" diagonal for a Celestron C5 ???

Posted By Luis De Vivero

I'm not sure if this helps. I have a Williams Optics 2 inch diagonal with a TeleVue 2 inch Visual Back attached to my Nexstar 5i without any obstruction to the focus knob. It works great for me. I'm not sure though if the C5 is configured differently though.

May 14, 2003 12:08 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

LXD 55 Mount

Posted By Luis De Vivero

Thanks Jake. I thought so. Luis

January 27, 2004 01:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: best Binoculars for nebula viewing

Posted By Luis De Vivero

I concur with Brian. I best view's I have seen of the Orion Nebula have been with my Oberwerk 20x90mm's. There seems to be a 3d effect compared to the views my Nexstar 5i and my Oberwerk 11x70's give me. Giant binos just give the observer a "wow" feeling at an affordable price.

May 20, 2004 04:43 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best Eyepieces For New Televue 85 User ?

Posted By Luis De Vivero

Depending on your budget, I would suggest either the TeleVue 8-24 or Vixen LV Zoom eyepiece. My Vixen zoom excels in my TV85. Especially, from my suburban Los Angeles skies. I gotten crisp and sharp views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Don't get me wrong, there are better singular choices out there. I own a 35mm, 22mm, and 19mm Panoptics along with a 7mm Type 6 Nagler. But the Vixen gets the most nightly use for those casual 15-30 minute observing sessions. Good luck Dave! P.S. I would suggest you invest in the 2.5x Powermate if your budget allows.

June 16, 2004 02:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Calling all small refractor owners!

Posted By Luis De Vivero

Joe, Unless you're going to do some serious backpacking/hiking my vote is for the TV85. Unbelievable performer and it sets up in minutes! Can't beat the TeleVue quality and craftsmanship. If you're patient, you can pick one up in excellent condition for about $1500 here on AstroMart. Remember, you get what you pay for! Just my 2 cents. Best Regards and good luck!

February 11, 2005 06:40 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Scopes Please 2

Posted By Luis De Vivero

My newly aquired TeleVue Genesis SDF mated to my Super Polaris Mount.