September 11, 2008 05:09 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Elephant Trunk nebula

Posted By Ivan Ong

A true masterpiece!
Ivan

September 15, 2008 12:42 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M13

Posted By Ivan Ong

That's nice Robert. You can increase your exposures as you have the core- capturing the peripheral will make the globular twice as big. Say 20x3min should be great.

Ivan

September 23, 2008 02:15 AM Forum: Takahashi

Baby-Q

Posted By Ivan Ong

Front view. Very nice coatings and baffling.

October 3, 2008 09:51 PM Forum: Takahashi

Baby-Q

Posted By Ivan Ong

Hi, I got to go up the Blue Ridge Parkway last night and tried the scope up with my Canon 20Da DSLR. I had a Televue 0.8x reducer, but it gave a lot of field distortion. Looks like I'll have to get the Tak reducer if I want a bigger photographic field. The following was taken at the native focal length and is uncropped. Not the best pic but just wanted to show the FOV on my APS-sized chip. The stars are pin point throughout the field, but you definitely need to do flats for processing.

Ivan

October 4, 2008 12:34 AM Forum: Takahashi

Baby-Q

Posted By Ivan Ong

I took this at 4:30am last night. Gives a nice idea of the FOV of the native FL of the scope.
Thanks
Ivan

October 26, 2008 11:03 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Startrails in Illinios

Posted By Ivan Ong

Really really nice!!!
Ivan

November 3, 2008 06:15 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

First Attempt at M42

Posted By Ivan Ong

Hello Phil, you have a nice pic there and it is a super start. I am not an expert but I can tell you what I've done for M42. You will need a bit more exposure time to build up the extensive nebulosity. For me, I typically combine exposures 5min+4min+3min+2min+1min+30s+15s+5s to build up the layers like a water color painting. Others will have different approaches. If you can track for 4-5min exposures, that would be great for M42.
Here is an example of a M42 I did with the above approach- my core is burnt out so it is not the gold standard by any measure.

Your focus is a tad soft- have you checked collimation?

Good luck,
Ivan

November 4, 2008 01:24 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Painting with candle light and camp fire

Posted By Ivan Ong

What an incredibly beautiful photo.
Ivan

November 5, 2008 01:21 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M45

Posted By Ivan Ong

Absolutely spectacular. I can try forever and never get close to this.
Ivan

November 5, 2008 01:24 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M31 and M42

Posted By Ivan Ong

Your M31 is extremely impressive!! Can't believe you say you are a DSLR beginner. My first M31 looked like a half eaten pancake at IHOP.
Ivan