Posts Made By: Ivan Ong

March 5, 2009 08:37 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Small grab-and Go refractor

Posted By Ivan Ong

How about a Stellarvue SV70 at that? Better mechanics and super service. I had a WO66SD once, my TV-60 was optically much better.
Ivan

May 1, 2009 12:45 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

NGC5907 in Draco

Posted By Ivan Ong

This one is sweet (your first pic). I like this better than the other option. What was your scope? Incredible fine detail.
Ivan

June 21, 2009 12:36 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Vega, Canon 20Da, Orion 80mm ED

Posted By Ivan Ong

Use a Bahtinov mask. They rule!

August 14, 2009 09:42 AM Forum: Eyepieces

GREEN DEATH: Ethos 21mm is here!

Posted By Ivan Ong

May the force be with you.

August 27, 2009 11:36 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Milky Way Mosaic

Posted By Ivan Ong

Great Job Steve, well done indeed. Your mosaic is very well stitched together and seams are very smooth.
Ivan

September 26, 2009 10:51 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Beginner and DSLR

Posted By Ivan Ong

Hello Martin,
The DSLR/barlow contraption is not well suited for single frame planetary photography. Single frames are problematic because (a) the mirror slap tends to shake the camera- and this shows when taking objects at high magnification (b) the atmosphere is very unstable and a single frame can end up taking a photo at a moment of instability (hence a blurred image). A webcam+barlow combination is much more suitable. Here you take a short avi video clip and use programs like Registax to select and combine good individual frames into a single composite photo. The results can be astounding.

Regarding focus, try pre-focusing on a star. There are lots of ways to do this. I personally like to use a Bahtinov mask.

Good luck!
Ivan

October 2, 2009 12:32 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

A little bit of everything

Posted By Ivan Ong

And a close up....
Ivan

October 11, 2009 11:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen VMC200 or VC200, anyone have any experience

Posted By Ivan Ong

Hi Ralph, what kind (and size) of SCT do you have now? If you already have an 8", than not much to gain. I think you will be happier with a 9.25" or a fabulous Mewlon 250.
Ivan

October 29, 2009 07:13 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M45 with Tak Baby-Q

Posted By Ivan Ong

Thanks guys. And that is at prime. With the reducer on the Baby-Q it was humongous. Unfortunately with the reducer I am picking up edge distortions with a 35mm chip size.

Ivan

November 24, 2009 05:49 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Ruins

Posted By Ivan Ong

This one is utterly amazing, John.
Ivan