Posts Made By: Mark Keitel

April 3, 2003 11:09 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

AP 1200 mount 88min image unguided, round stars

Posted By Mark Keitel

Glad this is not the 1st

Yes the above statement is true
How I was able to achieve this is really a mystery, the object in the perfect position? PEC recorded just right? Polar alignment that perfect?

Well this is what I did and what happened

Tuesday night I spent two hours making sure that my polar alignment was as perfect as I could get it on my AP 1200 mount. I used the STV and CCDops to double check eachother. I then recorded PEC slightly east of the Zenith. I have just gotten a new SBIG 8XE camera and want experience the fast downloads, so I figured that since I would be imaging at .66 arc/sec I best make sure the mount was set right.

I then went on my way to image Tuesday night. Though the STV had some large spikes the images were dead on with round stars. So I disregarded what the number on the STV were and kept right on going.

Then last night, at about 9:30 I decided to image NGC 2903. Set the STV up and started my first 8 min image in a series. Within 2 min the STV was beeping and having no guidedstar. I looked up and a cloud had covered the imaging area. I thought why not see how good I really did get the alignment and decided to try it for kicks with the STV off. I Turned it off, and within about 2 min the cloud had passed and my first 8 min image had round stars. I thought that will not happen again and went for the next one. Again round stars. This went on for 11x 8 min images.
Processing is not complete but wanted to post this anyway
Ap 1200 mount
SBIG 8XE, Dall-Kirkam scope, FL/2700 F/9.1 ( with reducer)
Imaging at .66 arc/sec

April 7, 2003 07:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M51

Posted By Mark Keitel

I had gotten a SBIG 8XE and have been taking images at full resolution to try out the fast download times
Seeing was alright but not as good as it shold have been for imaging at .66 arc/sec

Mewlon 300
F/9.1 FL/2700 ( with reducer)
8 x 8 min images
Clouds rolled in and cut this session short, not the moon is starting to say hello too

Now all I have to do is get another clear night ( LOL) and take the color

Thank you for your comments

Mark

April 13, 2003 06:04 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Syria; Are we going to invade there next?

Posted By Mark Keitel

For the second day now President Bush has warned Syria, not to harbor Iraqui military, or leaders. If they do the US will consider them horboring terroists.

After 9/11 the president has been given the authority by Congress to invade any country that had terroists that are againts the USA.

Also the Constitution gives the President the authority to invade any country without the Congress's permission. After a 90 day period though if Congress does not give him the permission he must withdraw the troops.

So let the words and thoughts fly
Remember Turkey has not been friendly towards us lately either, and we do need another place to house our military in that region.

One last thought
What other Country other than Isreal in that area of the world is considered Democratic? Why would the USA think that the Countries even want to be changed? Like Korea? Vietnam? and what are those Countriis like now?

April 17, 2003 12:49 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M13

Posted By Mark Keitel

Monday night I was testing out my new Optec Focuser and trying to get it to work automatically with Maxim and focusMax. Having some trouble with it so of course for frustrated, so I was getting ready to cose up since I had to get up early the next morning, Always wanted to say screw ( Herb can I say that word?) work, but I did not.

As I was getting ready to pack up I decided to image M13.
12 x 1 min ( not long enough but did it for kicks)
No guider set-up
Mewlon 300 with reducer
FL/2700 F/9.1
SBIG8XE taken at full reslution .66 arc/sec
Darks but no flats

OR
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/galaxyquest/CCD%20Images/M13maxpho.jpg

After seeing this I think that I am going to go back when the Moon is not out and take this image with longer exposures and in color

Mark

April 18, 2003 06:34 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

HorseHead and Flame / Color 10.4 hour image

Posted By Mark Keitel

First I would like to than Andrew for making this image posible. He worked on the color for me. I can now take the image but after 3 months of doing this I am still not that good at processing much less the color portion

This image was taken a couple of months back
10.4 hours
Tak FSQ 106
AP 1200 mount
SBIG 8e
Optec Filters
for a larger version

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/galaxyquest/CCD%20Images/FlameHorseworkingacut.jpg

April 30, 2003 08:23 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M13 color Mewlon300

Posted By Mark Keitel

Now that I did the color on this the Lum was not used only the Red,Green and blue to create this image. When the Lum was use the image did not look right
Here is the version and not that much exposure time on it

Mewlon 300 FL/2700 F/9.1
SBIG8XE
.66 arc/sec
Red 9 min
Green 9 min
Blue 15 min

May 4, 2003 08:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M51

Posted By Mark Keitel

Was curious to see how a 56 min image of M51 would look
7 x 8 min
.67 arc/sec
SBIG8XE
Mewlon 300 FL/2700 F/9.2 (reducer)
Still have a slight tracking problem as you can tell

Not sure but looks like you can see some small galaxies on the left too

Mark

May 5, 2003 03:32 PM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon 300/ AP as wide field finder

Posted By Mark Keitel

Here is my older Star Party set-up, though I have gotten rid of the AP 155
Not that portable a set-up though, but keeps me busy

Mark

May 11, 2003 12:51 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

NGC4565/4562 color

Posted By Mark Keitel

Not sure on the color balance of this one but wanted to post it anyway.
Tried out the Optec Reducer .62 with the Mewlon 300
Making it a F/7.4 scope
120 min lum 1x .84 arc/sec
40 min Red 2x
40 min Green 2x
40 min Blue 2x

Thank you for looking, any comments appreciated

Mark

June 24, 2003 02:16 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

UPS packing guidelines

Posted By Mark Keitel

Just wanted to pass the following along to anyone and everyone that tried or is going to try to put in a claim to UPS for damage.
Tonight I had a package picked up from my home and started to talking with the UPS driver. I was told that the packaging guidelines is the following. That the content of the package must be able to withstand being dropped 4'. I was further told that if you put frigile on the package that allot of the employess ( not all mind you ) like to drop it a few times from 4' to see if they can hear something break, knowing that UPS does not have to pay a claim on these items.

Have you ever tried to file a claim from UPS and have them come look at the packing of the item? This is what they are looking for. Will the contents of the box withstand a drop from 4' above the ground. I was also told that these guidelines are on the website.

Just a FYI and this is why I never ship something fragile via UPS, unless I double box the item.

Mark