My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Vandervelde

December 9, 2002 08:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How do I remove a Telrad base?

Posted By David Vandervelde

Hey folks, I have a Celestron C8 and attached a Telrad base. Unfortunately, my Telrad broke and now I am getting the Celestron Star Pointer instead, so want to remove the Telrad base. I am scared to try remove the thing though, I'm worried it might damage the tube. Should I just leave it on? Has anyone ever tried taking that base off? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

December 9, 2002 11:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade SWA vs UWA

Hey folks, I want to purchase a medium-high power eyepiece in the 12mm-15mm range, and am looking mostly at the Meade 13.8mm SWA and 14mm UWA. I really want the UWA but am not sure I can justify spending that much on an eyepiece (I'm a university student and a few hundred dollars isn't just lying around for me to spend). Is the UWA that much better than the SWA that it should be more than twice as much? I've never looked through either of these eyepieces so I have no personal experience. And does anyone have any info on the Celestron Axiom 15mm? It seems quite reasonably priced. How about Naglers in this range? As you can tell, I have no experience with high-priced eyepieces. If it makes any difference I have an 8" f/10 SCT, but am thinking about getting a 12.5" f/4.8 Dob. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

December 9, 2002 11:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron 9 x 50 Finderscope

I'm new to this site so I'm a little overanxious to finally get out all my questions... You'll all have to bare with me 'cause my name might be popping up a bunch.
People don't seem to be too excited about the Celestron 9x50 finderscope... I have the 6x30 and was just about to order the 9x50, but now I'm not so sure. Is it worth it? Are there better finderscopes out there?

December 9, 2002 11:50 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Me again... Powermate vs. Barlow

Can someone explain to me what the difference between a Barlow and a Powermate is? I appreciate your patience and hope no one minds me using this forum as an alternative to searching for stuff on on the internet.

December 10, 2002 08:20 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron vs. Meade 2" SCT Diagonal... compatible?

Hello, just wondering if a Meade 2" diagonal for SCT will also thread into a Celestron C8... I want to buy a 2" diagonal for my C8 but most seem to be Meade. Thanks.

December 10, 2002 08:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best Wide Field Eyepiece

I have an f/10 C8 and want to get a wide field eyepiece, within a reasonable price range. I know the 35mm Panoptic is great but it's a bit too rich for my blood. Anyone have any info regarding either the Meade 56mm Super Plossl or the TeleVue 55mm Plossl (or any other good reasonably priced wide fielder)? Thanks again.

December 13, 2002 08:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Field Stop... what is it?

Okay, call me stupid here, but what is field stop and what is it useful for? I've seen the formula to calculate FOV with it (FieldStop/EPfocallength)*57.3... what else does it imply? Should I be looking into field stop specs when lookig for a new eyepiece?

Thanks as always... I love this forum...

Dave

December 14, 2002 04:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Expensive eyepiece and Barlows?

Hello all, I have a question regarding the use of Barlows on expensive lenses... is a Barlowed expensive lenses going to outpreform an inexpensive, higher powered eyepiece on its own?

For example, I have an 8" SCT, and if I want a high magnification (~250x) for planetary observing, are a 19mm Panoptic and a 2x Barlow (214x) still perform better than a 9.7mm SuperPlossl (210x). I realize the FOV will be higher in the Panoptic, but what about quality?

I guess my main question here is, if I want an eyepiece for higher magnifications, can I just use my quality eyepiece of ~100x magnification rather than buying a separate eyepiece at 210x?

I'm tired so I hope that question makes sense.

Dave

December 14, 2002 01:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

1.25" EP in a 2" Diagonal

Hello, I want to buy a new diagonal for my 8" SCT and want a 2" diagonal. I have all 1.25" EP's right now, though, so I was curious if the views through a 1.25" EP were restricted at all by using them in a 2" diagonal rather than a 1.25". Does it make a difference? If not I'll definately gop the 2" route. Thanks.

December 15, 2002 11:01 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Making a dovetail for an 8" SCT

Hello, I currently work in a machine shop that manufactures steel equipment. I want to try make myself a dovetail plate (like the Losmandy DC8) to sit atop my Celestron 8" SCT, so I can add rings and a wide field scope. Does anyone know the specific measurements for the drills in a 8"? First, are they 1/4-20 threads, and second how far apart are they? I tried measuring them and they appear to be just shy of 12.5". Maybe I'll just have to take my scope to work and measure it there. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Dave