My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Kent Kramer

November 3, 2005 06:59 PM Forum: After Dark

Meade and Celestron

Posted By Kent Kramer

I wonder what Meade and Celestron were not doing for Anacortes that they were doing for OPT? Herb's announcement in the classifieds is gone. They must have reconsidered their position. Good thing. Could you imagine us not buying any Meade or Celestron... even for a day.

Kent

December 23, 2005 01:38 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Awesome Newt!

Posted By Kent Kramer

Takahashi MT130 on a Space Boy.

Kent

January 16, 2006 01:54 PM Forum: Pet Pics

January 20, 2006 09:28 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Thanksgiving...?

Posted By Kent Kramer

I counted ten before they started to move off.

Kent

January 21, 2006 06:49 AM Forum: Pet Pics

Dickens

Posted By Kent Kramer

A friends pet.

February 6, 2006 01:13 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

eCheck on PayPal

Posted By Kent Kramer

Has anyone ever accepted an eCheck though PayPal? If so how long would you expect one to take for clearing? Would an eCheck originating in the UK take longer? How much longer?

Thanks,

Kent

April 18, 2006 11:01 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Magnolia in bloom.

Posted By Kent Kramer

I posted a bud last year in the wildlife forum. She continues to do well here in Minnesota. Clear skies today.

Kent

August 19, 2006 07:24 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Re: Cleaning Optics

Posted By Kent Kramer

Unless you see them at the ep while viewing I would not bother. Even then maybe not...

Kent

September 27, 2006 12:39 PM Forum: After Dark

Re: Slow Moving Satellite/?

Posted By Kent Kramer

I had an interesting early morning. Waking at 5:50 AM to let the dogs out, retrieve the paper and get coffee going I looked at the sky as normal with sleepy eyes. This AM I had not turned the lights on in the house along the way. Looking up at the sky I immediately noticed two slow moving satellites in close proximity moving through the region of the Double Cluster. Ahead of Zenith they were quite bright, as they approached they dimmed considerably. A few seconds later, a gorgeous long green tail followed a meteor moving north through Polaris. Then another, white tailed this time. It made for a great start to the day in Minneapolis.

Look up and be amazed,

Kent

October 27, 2003 08:57 PM Forum: Refractors

Used: Tak FS-78 at $1100 vs. TV 85 at $1600

Posted By Kent Kramer

Paul,

I have owned 2 FS-78's. One I sold to a friend and regretted it so much I purchased another. They are fantastic small aperture telescopes. I have no personal experience with the TV85. I am certain with everything I have read though it is a great telescope as well.

As far as adding or removing parts on the FS78 in order to reach focus I would say you are partially correct. Tak makes several tube extension accessories required by different applications that will allow the telescope to focus properly. For visual use in my experience no extensions are required when using a diagonal as the light path is long enough to get to focus. If you view without a diagonal (abnormal in the US, normal in Asia) I think two extensions are required. Sometimes your specific eyepiece or eyepiece and barlow combination may affect this but once you get the hang of it there should be no real problem. The extensions are only about $25 each. Anacortes has a great reference on their site for most of the Tak line. Go to manufacturers – Takahashi - system chart for the FS78. The OTA normally includes all you will need for visual including the 1.25” compression ring adapter. If you buy one used you might get lucky and get an extension or two. The pristine sample I sold had two extensions, tube ring clamp and Tenba bag. The one I just purchased was only two weeks old with several accessories.

You can’t go wrong with either Tak or TV. Let us know what you end up with.

Kent