My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Kent Kramer

February 2, 2005 04:30 PM Forum: Takahashi

4" apo and Mewlon 210

Posted By Kent Kramer

Awesome no matter which way you look at it. The Mewlon takes some time to cool down. While doing so enjoy the 78. After it does the 78 doubles as a finder.

Kent

March 25, 2005 12:12 PM Forum: Home Observatories

OBO

Posted By Kent Kramer

Nice John or should I say out house. Sorry I could not resist. It does look great.

Kent

March 26, 2005 07:13 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

March 28, 2005 02:56 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Should I Have to wait??

Posted By Kent Kramer

Was there obvious damage to the shipping carton?

April 9, 2005 08:48 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter and 5 moons

Posted By Kent Kramer

Mike,

I agree that there is no way it was Amalthea. The position for one was in the area of 138991 and the second would be the brightness. The relative size I would estimate to be about one quarter of the disc size compared to the average size of the 4 largest moons. The thing that sticks in my mind though is the illuminated look of a moon as opposed to the point source of light that stars tend to exhibit. This object had that look. I did find a couple of resources on the internet that displayed the orbits of many of the Jovian moons. None seemed to be as distant as the object I observed.

I wish that I had better skies last night. Hopefully tonight. The change in the relative positions of the objects involved are going to make things more difficult or impossible as time goes on.

I appreciate everyones interest in helping to identify this.

Thanks,

Kent

April 10, 2005 06:16 AM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon on GP Mount?

Posted By Kent Kramer

Tom,

I believe that the Tak dovetail is compatible with the Vixen saddle plate. Have fun!

Kent

April 10, 2005 07:17 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

American Robin + Dust Spec ?

Posted By Kent Kramer

Actually I see two possibly three bits of dust. On the tip of the bud above the Robin's back and in the defocused limb high above the beak. Those spots look like dust on the CCD. The spot you are referring to looks a bit too focused and dense. I would just remove the lens and blow the glass surfaces off with a camera bulb or baby's ear bulb. Place the lens back on the camera and take a white frame. Don’t forget both surfaces of a protective filter if you installed one. Look at the frame in Photoshop. If they are not there, you are golden. If they are try again. This time tell the camera to mirror up and blow out the CCD compartment. Don't touch the glass or the CCD with anything. If you still have dust post again and someone will help. There are several photo resources on the net with advice as well.

Kent

April 11, 2005 08:59 AM Forum: Takahashi

Tenba case dimensions (FS102)

Posted By Kent Kramer

I don't know. Based on experience with other Tenba cases I would say not any larger than the dimensions of the OTA. They typically fit tight all around. End to end will not allow a diagonal. All around will not allow the bracket or the rings. Of course, the finder and bracket will not fit. There is, in my experience, a small unpadded zippered pouch inside the case that might hold the unattached finder - no bracket. There is also a small zippered slot on the front of the bag that might hold filters or other thin items. The case has two velcro straps inside to securely retain the OTA. The case is well protected with semi rigid foam panel insulation inside of the ballistic nylon material.

See http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?m=&pid=2581&display=reviews for others opinions.

If you are asking to fit another manufacturers OTA you can get the 102 measurements off of the Anacortes site or TNR.

Kent

April 12, 2005 06:12 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Black Widow Spider in my garage

Posted By Kent Kramer

Jeez I hope you squashed it!

Kent

June 13, 2005 12:16 PM Forum: Takahashi

Cleaning FS102

Posted By Kent Kramer

At the eyepiece can you see any difference? If not, why bother. If so, consider sending it to Art at TNR.

Kent