My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Kent Kramer

July 6, 2005 07:19 PM Forum: Pet Pics

The Queen on her "NEW" Throne!

Posted By Kent Kramer

Another good reason to keep the lid down.

Kent

July 13, 2005 01:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Well, another casse of Velvetitis

Posted By Kent Kramer

It's pretty enough to be buried in.

Kent

July 21, 2005 07:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vintage Monolux....is this ethical?

Posted By Kent Kramer

The seller appears to be a Blue Level (Small ATM/OEM/Dealer). He is entirely inside of Herb's rules and should be applauded for his service to our community.

Kent

July 21, 2005 08:45 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Reviews/ Opinions of Maxxum 7D

Posted By Kent Kramer

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/maxxum7d.html

I shot a Minolta 35mm for years and was very pleased. I now shoot a Nikon D70 and am just as happy. Considerations...

Do you have a collection of Minolta lenses?
Are you concerned that Minolta is somewhat late to the DSLR game?
Little product history to go by... build quality, ruggedness etc.
More "mainstream" second and third generation cameras are selling as a kit for hundreds less.
Your intended purpose for the camera - portrait, landscape, astro...

Don't be fooled 3000 X 2000 is 6 million not 11.5 million. Anti-shake in the camera is a first. If you are using long lenses or slow shutter speeds without a tripod you will notice a difference. Other manufacturers will follow the lead. Personally, if I were a DSLR buyer or soon to be one I would be waiting to see the Nikon D50. Most of the DSLR's have more features that many/most of us will use. Including me and my D70.

Good luck,

Kent

July 23, 2005 10:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

FED-EX == NO PST scope

Posted By Kent Kramer

Didn't you read the address before opening? I hope the fellow who got your PST did not open your package. If he did and I were you I would always wonder what damage he did to the scope when he tried to pump your PST.

Kent

July 25, 2005 10:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Contrast boost in a truss dob?

Posted By Kent Kramer

Hi Dan,

I had my MT130 Tak Newtonian set up in a dob mount I built for my son a few years ago. We used the Argo Navis with it and had incredible results, finding things I did not expect to see given my Minnesota skies. Go over the directions carefully. Find an accurate horizontal position and a few stars to train the CPU and you should be pleased. I now use the Argo Navis on a GM8 and have been pleased as well.

Good Luck,

Kent

July 26, 2005 08:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Got my PST

Posted By Kent Kramer

Good news! Post your comments.

Kent

July 27, 2005 01:43 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Where are the reviews?

Posted By Kent Kramer

john shea said:

There is not much on this website of product reviews. If I want to see a product review of lets say a Burgess 26mm SuperWide what website has reviews like that?

Google it. Try http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/BurgessSWA.pdf it comes up number one.

Kent

July 29, 2005 02:00 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Which is more practical, Laser Collimator or Set o

Posted By Kent Kramer

Many use both. The Tectron threesome is where I would start. Their book helps to understand what is going on in the optical path. Many of the steps cannot easily be accomplished with a laser. Squaring the focuser centering the secondary and the primary...

You can add a laser later for the fine stuff and use it for touch ups once your happy with the geometry.

Good luck,

Kent

July 29, 2005 02:05 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Which is more practical, Laser Collimator or Set o

Posted By Kent Kramer

Many use both. The Tectron threesome is where I would start. Their book helps to understand what is going on in the optical path. Many of the steps cannot easily be accomplished with a laser. Squaring the focuser centering the secondary and the primary...

You can add a laser later for the fine stuff and use it for touch ups once your happy with the geometry.

Good luck,

Kent