My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Murray Carlson

December 22, 2002 06:03 PM Forum: TeleVue

What changed from type I to now??? HELP

Posted By Murray Carlson

I am coming to this forum with the proverbial "hat in hand" for help.
When I first got into astronomy in 1986 I followed the attage to buy the biggest and best affordable. Scope and ep's. I fumbled around in my driveway with an LX3 10" for about 6 months. My prize possesions were my ep's. The Meade was impressive but when I pulled my 40mm widefield out all you could hear was "ooooooooo and aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh". After 6 months of not being able to see anything worth while and not knowing anyone to work with I put it all away.
A couple of months ago my 16 y/o son asked about it. I drug it all back out. We quickly learned that we could sell the Meade (done in one day!) order a cool new GPS/goto scope (on order) and really get into the passion that I once had and now share with my son.
Upon reading the many articles, reviews etc we quickly realized that our great ep's may not be the latest and greatest. This is what brings me to you. We ordered one of the new Celestron 14" Goto scopes due to arrive in January. I want to make sure we take full advantage of this new "super toy" with the right ep's. I dont know if trying to go to the newest versions of what I have in addition to the universal agreement to get the 31 is necessary. Here's what I own now. All bought in 1986-87.
40mm televue widefield
13mm nagler
11mm nagler
9mm nagler
7mm nagler. I have to assume they are all "type I" ???? Until recently I never heard of different types. (marketing gimmick??)
What my telescope guy (Starizona) tells me is to get the 31mm nagler and the 17mm nagler. Both are 2" and would "round out" my collection. With this new scope would I benefit from going to type 5 or 6 or whatever they are? Scrapping them all and getting what? We plan on looking at everything the Celestron will show us. We are in a suburb of chicago but will travel once a week to dark sky sites to look at deep sky objects.
I really need some un biased help.
Please let me know what you think if you have the time.
thanks.
Murray and Matt Carlson

February 4, 2003 05:05 PM Forum: Binoviewers

If you had $2500 what would you do?

Posted By Murray Carlson

Hello. New guy here. Just jumping in with both feet and all my fun money. (then some!) Here's the question. If you had a C14 and a Pronto with the Coronado max 60 w/BF 30 2" diagonal what bino/ep set would you buy? Pretend you just crawled out from under a rock, didn't know anything about anything and wanted the best views of everything with the best equipment $2500 would get you INCLUDING ep's. I am new enough not to care about being politically correct. I just want the best views. In focus and bright. I am relying on you folks to help me make the best choices here. PLEASE give me your thoughts. I have heard the sales pitches from Russ, Harry, Al and although impressed that I can actually talk to these guys I am confused and afraid of a major mistake. Thanks in advance for your comments.

March 6, 2003 07:13 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

First light on max 60/BF10

Posted By Murray Carlson

I just had to post a message and include my first shot with the Nikon 4500. The sky was 80% "good" today. Wispy high clouds. I spent a few minutes with the Denk bino's until I realized I forgot the "O" part at home. The 7 and 4.8 naglers are incredible. I have the Cemax ep's but I did not get them out since I was technically "at work" and just HAD to get a look. I tossed the Nikon with the Scopetronix 18mm ep and got this shot. I am amazed that with no prep, practice or editing this came out. It's untouched and raw. I didnt even use the remote control. Just imagine what one can do with time!

April 8, 2003 07:44 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

For sale Complete Pronto-Max 60 bino setup

Posted By Murray Carlson

Purchased all new in 2/03:
Evergreen Pronto refractor with Losmandy universal plate and 5.5" rings
Coronado max 60 filter, BF 10 diagonal
Cemax set of two each for binoviewing - 25mm, 18mm, 12mm
Cemax barlow
Also included - 2" celestron diagonal, Two Celestron 26mm plossls, Two 4.8mm Naglers, high quality wood tripod with heavy metal alt/az mount. Hand controls. Custom wood ep holder. Pictures of all on request.

This is a perfect set up for bino viewing of the sun.
All have been used 4 times. Need to sell to upgrade my C-14 SBIG setup. Quality guaranteed or return for full refund. ~Make offer.
Thanks for looking.
Murray

December 4, 2003 07:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fraud case resolved ***** WHEW*****

Posted By Murray Carlson

Mike Fong came to his senses and realized that if he messes with us astronomers he is in trouble !
I put out a plea to the astronomy community just over a week ago. A GREAT astronomer in Canada saw my note. He put me in touch with another GREAT astronomer in China. Pressure was put on Mike Fong (who also goes by Fang Yong and James Focke) to pay me back the entire $3900. Which he did today.
I think this guy has some stuff that astronomers need and he may be someone that we should buy from. Buyers need to be careful. Like me....yes! Dont invite temptation with carelessness.
I just hope that others will learn from this and find safeguards when dealing with people not rated.
Thank you Allan and Renjiang !!! You are in my heart forever.
Murray

February 27, 2004 09:59 PM Forum: Binoviewers

The new A/P German bino's are in !!

Posted By Murray Carlson

Just got a call that my name is up for a set of the new German bino's A/P is selling. (8 months later).
They claim 9.8% improved light passthrough than the old model. I am willing to try them out ($1750 after IL tax) and compare to my Denk prem's. Just wondering if anyone else has these yet and and first lights?
thanks.
Murray

December 5, 2004 08:37 PM Forum: Telescope Making

How to make a filter wheel?

Posted By Murray Carlson

Ok there has to be a way!! I tried PVC, a lazy susan and all I have is a bunch of pieces. arghh!

Any ideas out there in astro-land?

Thanks Murray

November 27, 2003 11:43 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fraud

Posted By Murray Carlson

Michael Fong is his English name. He says that his Chinese name is Fang Yong or Fong Young. His eBay name is Great-Eye.
He claims to be a distributer of DKD Optics Hong Kong.

RM202,Second Stair,Building No.56
Xing-Xian Road
Jia-Shan
ZHE JIANG 314100
CHINA