Posts Made By: Kevin Brennan

January 7, 2006 05:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Any comments on Meade's new 200R RC tubes?

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I see the posting here recently on the 200R RC tubes if I read it correctly, and assume it is the much awaited OTA for us folks with GEMs that we don't want to part with.

I looked on Herb's web site, and the pics appear to be LX200 scopes or look EXACTLY like them, and different from the RX tubes.

I am assuming that they are place holder pics to be replaced later on. Anybody know what the scoop is?

Kevin

March 23, 2006 02:08 AM Forum: Takahashi

Permanent Pier

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Anybody know if there is a ready made pier option out there for an NJP?

What is the best value. I was looking at getting an Astropier for my njp and apparently it needs an adapter. The only adapters I see are about 200 and are listed as NJP Threaded Pier Adapter. At 200 bucks, I don't want to buy the wrong adapter.

Kevin

April 15, 2006 03:47 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn/Mars April 11 UT

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I was out Monday nite double observing in the moon wash but decided to take a long look at Saturn as the seeing was a bit better than the crappy stuff I usually see in NE. I made a modest sketch in my notebook. Perhaps I can post it later, but not nearly as nice as what I often see in here.

Date- April 11, 2006 00:20 UT
Instrument- TOA130, 3.6 Tak LE (277x)
Seeing- 4-5/10.

During some of the rare and better moments, I could see some detail in the rings at the ansea, sort of a grooving with the cassini appearing more sharp. I could make out some equitorial banding just south of the rings, and the shadow detail from the planets disc. I normally neglect to appreciate the moons, but this nite stared at the planet for awhile with the specific purpose of noting the moons. I could make out Titan and Dione to the west, and a field star. I could make out Rhea and Tethys to the East, along with Iapetus which surprised me, I also could make out a field star between Iapetus and the disc of about the same magnitude. These last two and the field star were best observed with averted vision. The TOA continues to amaze me with outstanding contrast. Although I tried, I could not find or make out Enceladus.

I then turned my attention to Mars which was falling into the muck. Unfortunately I could only detect the fact that it was less than 100% phase. Perhaps some minor contrast differences but it was difficult to differentiate that from dispersion.

Clear skies,
Kevin

July 16, 2006 02:20 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Shot from Recent Hike

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Blue Mt Lake in Adirondacks. From a recent hike as viewed from Castle rock.

One of the few clear days we have had recently in NE. Been quite the wet spring/summer thus far.

Kevin

July 22, 2006 12:26 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Observatory/Pier Project

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I have recently completed the first and main stage in an observatory project. I thought I would document it in case anybody is considering this. I had been hemming about it for years and it was actually not that big a deal so wish I did it long before now.

Tube- 24". Had to special order it, and I raised a few eyebrows at the building store. Cut it in half as it was only available in 12' section.

The last shows the completed pier. Not sure if I will enclose it or not as I have a "warming" room 10' away in form of a sunroom. Will look at some small roll away enclosure I think, but am concerned with moisture.

Kevin

July 24, 2006 12:25 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Lily pic

Posted By Kevin Brennan

A pic I captured recently. Not sure the variety.

clear skies,
Kevin

August 4, 2006 11:54 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Butterfly

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Monarch I think. Wish the flower had seen better days.

Kevin

August 6, 2006 02:35 PM Forum: Takahashi

Polar Alighnment Reticle

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Fellow NJP/Tak mount users. I have installed a new set of legs for my NJP. Pic below by the way. But have an alignment question.

The RA has always been off center when reticle is vertical, and always assumed it was because I was on a slope. Now I have my mount on a perfectly plumb pier, and it is off even more. When reticle is vertical, counterweight bar is at about 4 o'clock. Is this normal or not important? I ask as when I carefully polar align, I seem to have a bit less goto peformance than what I expected getting into this mount, but this was first goto, and I am working with small st7 chip. I have assumed it is orthagonality up till now, but wonder.

Kevin

August 8, 2006 11:43 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Western Hike & Roadtrip

Posted By Kevin Brennan

A few shots from a recent trip west, hike and drive. Herb might recognize some of these.

August 9, 2006 12:31 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Anybody know what this guy is

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Dragonfly of some sort I assume. But was curious what.

clear skies,

kevin
http://pbase.com/kevinbr