Posts Made By: Kevin Brennan

September 7, 2008 10:09 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter Time Limit

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I notice that the more frames you have to process, the less noise you get and the more you can do.

With that said, I have been getting about 900-1000 frames in 1 minute. How long can you go before the motion is a problem? Or is it better to shoot more fps? I am currently shooting 15 fps, as I thought that was the preferred number.

Kevin

September 20, 2008 02:04 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter and Europa Sept 19

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Finally got a bit better seeing than have had most of month, but still couldn't see diffraction rings, so 5-6/10? Anyway, took the advice for some longer shots and more frames and I think it helped.

Here is a shot of Jupiter and Europa. About 9:20PM EDT. Shot with 5" scope, 4x powermate and SPC900. Stack of 750 out of 1200. I may try a different method of processing since the seeing seemed better than any other nite and I have more frames available.

Suggestions always appreciated.

Kevin

September 23, 2008 02:07 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Disturbances

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Just a quick post to note some "apparent" interesting activity on Jupiter that I didn't see just a week ago. The GRS appeared to be have a disturbance south of it in the STrZ. Also some nice festoon activity and one rather dark one just north of the GRS. Lastly, quite a bit of activity in the STB, and SSTB in the general longitude of the GRS.

Clear skies,
Kevin Brennan

September 23, 2008 10:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter & GRS

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Seems to be some intersting detail around the GRS. Seeing was marginal as it seems to be here. Shot through 5.5" scope, at f30 with phillips web cam. Processed in Registax.

clear skies,
Kevin

September 24, 2008 03:15 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter & Transit

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Here's a shot from this evening I ran through Registax since it clouded over unexpectedly. It shows Io's shadow transit, Callisto, Ganymede, and Io.

The seeing was 6/10 probably better than I have seen in NY in some time. 5.5" refractor, Phillips webcam, and registax. About 900 frames from 1200 I recall.

Clear skies,
Kevin

October 9, 2008 06:28 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First Lunar shot, suggestions appreciated

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I have only taken a handful of "full disk" shots of waxing moon with DSLR. This is first shot with web cam. It is the straight wall. Conditions were so-so as moon was lit nicely, but down in the much near jupiter. Not sure if this is good or bad for a 140mm scope. Suggestions always appreciated. It was 500 frames at f30. Processed in registax.

Kevin

December 20, 2008 02:19 AM Forum: Refractors

Triplet Semi-Apo?

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I am curious if anybody is familiar with the type of scope that is in auctions right now. It is large refractor listed as a "semi-apo" and every time I hear that term it makes me cringe. Does anybody know if these designs had an ED element. If not, how does the third element work exactly?

Clear skies,
Kevin

February 14, 2009 03:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

astromart fees

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I went to change my email address as my company changed it slightly, and a pop up box tells me the change would cost me 12 bucks. When did this start, and how come the system does not remember past supporters?

clear skies
Kevin

March 14, 2009 09:25 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Use of Powermate

Posted By Kevin Brennan

I use a 4x powermate for planetary imaging with my 1000mm refractor and also wish to use it with my D70, but am puzzled a bit with it's use.

When I got it, I thought I would be able to put it in the focuser, have the 1 1/4" adapter in it, and then put my web cam in for a "straight" imaging train. But it only seems to come to focus if I have the diagonal first, and then have the powermate. Even if I put the diagonal in after the powermate it won't work. When I put the powermate in then have my D70 after that It is nowhere near focus, and I can't even figure out if the camera needs to be closer or farther out. Obviously, I couldn't put it any closer to the powermate anyway that directly coulpling it.

Is there a photomultiplier out there that will let me have a straight imaging train?

Kevin

April 12, 2009 08:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Rings for AT66 ED

Posted By Kevin Brennan

Anybody have a suggestion on rigid tube rings for an AT66? I notice on the web sight they have nice rings for the 80mm but nothing listed for the 66.

Regards,
Kevin