My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Harrington

October 19, 2002 09:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

M45 - D60 and TV102

Posted By John Harrington

What a gorgeous shot of the Pleiades and their nebulosity! It brings to my mind a poet's comment about the Pleiades being like "silver braid entwining the heavens" or perhaps more elegant words to the same effect. Keep up the marvelous work!

--John Harrington
Nashville, TN

November 21, 2002 02:47 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Planetary traveling Scope

Hi Larry! The problem isn't portability of the 'scope, but size of the vehicle. With a nice, loooong station wagon or mini-van, why you could just sail off with a big D&G refractor and its monster mounting. Just think of all the advantages: minimal need to recollimate, short wait to reach thermal equilibrium, razor-sharp views, etc. And picking out a new vehicle can't be any harder than deciding on a new scope. ;-)

Regards,

John Harrington
Nashville, TN

June 28, 2003 11:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

4" TV-102 kicked 8" Discovery Dobs

Ron,

Nice field report! One disagreement--some achromats are formidable. My 6" F/15 D&G refractor is indeed massive, but was relatively inexpensive (purchased used for less than a TV 102) and is extremely sharp. Color is minor, IMHO, and only visible on brighter objects.

Clear skies to you and your TV102 and new dob,

John Harrington

June 23, 2004 07:37 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ISS with Stellacam EX video camera

Hi Lonnie,

Sweet shot, particularly considering you were hand-guiding that 16" behemoth!

--John Harrington

September 23, 2004 07:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Flood/Eyepieces

Jim,

Sorry to hear your tale of woe. Try contacting ITE--they work with Mike Palermiti in Florida, a very well known optician, who does eyepiece cleaning. He cleaned up an ancient Brandon otho for me some years ago, and the improvement was incredible.

Clear skies,

John Harrington

July 13, 2006 08:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Richard Berry Refractor Dob Mount

Hi Andre,

A couple of years ago, I asked Nature Watch up on Prince Edward Island to make a "dobfractor" style mount for my mammoth 6" F/15 D&G (since sold). The Nature Watch mount was OK and would have worked fine with a long-focus 4", but was no match for the massive torque of the big D&G. I think your best bet for a "dobfractor" mount for a big refractor would be to actually try your own hand at making it, using Richard Berry's book as a guidepost. Wish I had better news...

Clear Skies,

John Harrington
Carmel, Indiana