My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Nelson

October 6, 2003 04:09 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Used SCT focusing question

Posted By Jim Nelson

The short focus nagler is probably too much power for the scope - at over 400x, it's certainly pushing it. And your local seeing conditions probably won't allow that high of a magnification except on the best of nights, with any scope. On many nights, I'm limited to about 200x as my maximum useful magnification by the atmosphere.

Can't help you with the dew heater.

October 7, 2003 05:47 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion RA finder 9x50

Posted By Jim Nelson

The right angle "correct image" finder is also left-right corrected - the sky is oriented the way you see it with your eye.

October 9, 2003 02:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How do YOU say APO?

Posted By Jim Nelson

I hear 3 sometimes, but that makes no sense to me; it's not an acronym, it's short for "apochromatic". Honestly, I'm not sure how to say "apochromatic"; I just say Ay-Po.

October 11, 2003 04:03 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Eyepiece Sets

Posted By Jim Nelson

There's at least one of those available on Astro-Mart right now...

There are a lot of these Meade and Celestron sets on the market right now because the sets are available for $99 with the purschase of Meade and Celestron 'scopes.

They're not bad ep's, but not premium, either. I haven't tried the Celestrons, but a full set of Meade plossl's is a nice thing to have.

Personally I'd rather get 2 nicer ep's in the in $80-100 range (e.g. Televue Plossls, Celestron Ultimas, Orion Ultrascopics, University Optics Konigs) and a good barlow (Televue, Orion Shorty-Plus, Celestron Ultima, University Optics Klee). These would be noticeably better (although not dramatically better), and you could have a nice range of magnifications for maybe a little less than the going price for the sets.

I also find that those short focal length plossls are too uncomfortable to use, so it's better to use a barlow to get down to those focal lengths, anyway.

My 2 cents.

October 14, 2003 07:15 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Good science magazine?

Posted By Jim Nelson

Last time I checked, the content of SA is up to the usual high standards; most articles are still written by professional scientists.

October 15, 2003 05:10 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Welding filter good for solar obs thru telescope?

Posted By Jim Nelson

You're risking both your scope and your eyes if you use anything other than a quality filter that covers the scope's aperture. You don't want 8inches of aperture gathering full sunlight, period, end of story.

October 15, 2003 06:15 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Help!! Orion 9x50 finder right angle problem

Posted By Jim Nelson

I think that model does focus - you loosen the objective's lock ring, then adjust the focus by rotating the objective, then re-tightening the lock-ring.

October 15, 2003 06:04 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Orion 80ED eyepiece choices

Posted By Jim Nelson

I think everyone needs some good Plossls or similar ep's to start. Even when you get the fancy ones, most folks like to have more basic ep's on hand as well (good to travel with, for example).

Then, after you figure out what is important to you, get the right big money ep's.

A couple of good plossls or similar (I like the Ultimas/Ultrascopics) plus a good barlow (or a 2.5x Powermate - they aren't *that* expensive) will get you going.

I think you're right to aim high, though. But I think a little time spent with more basic ep's will allow you make a smarter choice for the high-end stuff.

On the other hand, if you have money to burn, the combination of ep's you mention probably won't dissapoint.

October 24, 2003 09:33 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Light Cup first solar sketch

Posted By Jim Nelson

That's a mighty fine sketch Ron! I took my 6 inch dob out today, and although I don't often use its solar filter, I'm glad I have it. It was a startling view...I kinda dismissed any thoughts of sketching; I had work I needed to be doing and a decent sketch was sure going to take some time! Glad you took the time.

Did you take a naked eye view through the filter at the sun? The spot is easy - a big black mole near the center of the sun's face.

November 2, 2003 04:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

To buy or not to buy binoculars?

Posted By Jim Nelson

My take on this is that while a pair of hand-held binoculars is essential, big 70mm-80mm binos are more "niche". While the views are very nice, big binos aren't versatile. For quick peeks, a small refractor will show a greater variety of objects. Something like an AT1010, or a Pronto, or a similar scope will show both the wide-field views of the binos and decent views of the planets and double stars, and other small objects.

AND - these scopes on an alt-az mount are just as convenient as binos on a mount, other than bringing a couple of extra eyepieces along.

I've never lived with big binos, though, so maybe they would grow on me.