My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Nelson

October 5, 2006 01:38 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Cepheus spiral, NGC6946

Posted By Jim Nelson

I've seen some spiral structure from fairly dark Michigan skies in someone else's 14.5 inch scope, but no luck with my 6inch scope (not that I expected it).

It is still one of my favorite "odd couple" views, side by side with open cluster NGC 6939.

June 15, 2004 04:36 PM Forum: Polls

On the shelf there is a shirt made in the USA for $15 and one made in China for $10 I buy the...

Posted By Jim Nelson

A $500 Chinese 80mm Apo vs. a $1600 U.S. equivalent tempts me. A $10 shirt, no. If I can't afford $5 to feel (relatively) secure about the labor conditions of the workers and to support companies willing to pay their workers slightly more than slave wages, I shouldn't be buying new shirts at all.

But US made shirts at this point in time are pretty much purely hypothetical, anyway.

June 15, 2004 04:31 PM Forum: Polls

On the shelf there is a shirt made in the USA for $15 and one made in China for $10 I buy the...

Posted By Jim Nelson

Exactly what I was thinking...I can't remember the last time I saw a shirt made in the USA, and certainly not for $15! Even Levi's jeans, an icon of America, are no longer made in the USA.

November 4, 2004 04:44 PM Forum: Polls

It is over and I...

Posted By Jim Nelson

"Substance"? The policy-driven campaign lost.

November 5, 2004 05:27 AM Forum: Polls

It is over and I...

Posted By Jim Nelson

"likes of Al Sharpton and Howard Dean, you can forget about the moderate vote in america"

What scares me is when Howard Dean, a pro-gun, pro-death penalty, business tax and welfare slashing deficit hawk is considered "too far left" to appeal to moderates. Huh?

November 5, 2004 03:03 PM Forum: Polls

It is over and I...

Posted By Jim Nelson

"demoncraps"

Jeez, there's some quality discourse. Can I call George Bush a "RePOOPlican"?

November 5, 2004 05:13 AM Forum: Polls

It is over and I...

Posted By Jim Nelson

I wasn't defending Kerry (not here), but anyone - I've heard it from the right and left - will tell you that his campaign was primarily about policy, Bush's primarily wasn't. You can spin that for or against Kerry, and you may not trust Kerry or agree with his policies, but nonetheless I don't see how anyone could spin this election as a triumph of "substance".

November 6, 2004 12:26 AM Forum: Polls

It is over and I...

Posted By Jim Nelson

it certainly doesn't offend me unlike others on this list with my "demoncrap" comment

Oh, it doesn't offend me. "Demoncrap" is hardly worth getting offended over. It just makes you sound like an idiot.

Added by edit: Please note I'm not calling you an idiot. I'm saying that you are presenting yourself as one.

December 23, 2004 04:36 PM Forum: Polls

It should be.....

Posted By Jim Nelson

The poll question creates a dichotomy where there need not be one.

I use "Merry Christmas" with people who I know celebrate Christmas, or in Christmas specific situations.

I use "Happy Holidays" with people who may not celebrate Christmas but likely are celebrating some other holiday (Lots of Jewish folk where I live), or when I mean something more general, when I do in fact mean to include New Years, etc.

There's no reason to resent the inclusiveness of "Happy Holidays" when the situation calls for inclusiveness.

January 5, 2005 05:10 AM Forum: Polls

I believe that......

Posted By Jim Nelson

How about big bang, evolution, AND big plan. Not everyone thinks there's conflict between science and religion.