My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steve VanHyfte

December 11, 2002 03:09 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Where can I get a Digital Encoder kit for my dob

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

My dob is already built with a 1/2" azuimuth shaft. The top board has a 1 3/8" hole in it, and has a ball bearing. I have a complete Lumicon Computer/Encoders/Cables which I never installed, since the center bolt was smaller than 1/2". Lumicon is now out of business, Orion no longer sells the kits (or at least advertises they have them), JIM kits are at least $150 for a bunch of bolts, and Celestron No longer has kits for dobs. Astrosystems has a pivot kit, but again, it is a 3/8" shaft (too small). I need a T-bolt for the azimuth axis which is 1/2" in diameter, and has the 1/4" hole for the encoder shafts. Does anyone know where I can get one of these bolts off the shelf without having to pay the big bucks for a machined part.
Steve

December 15, 2002 03:35 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Alternate Dobsonian Altitude Bearings???

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

Typically when making a smaller DOB say 6-8", seems most builders will use PVC pipe sections. Then when building larger DOBS most builders see to use the very large semi-circlular wooden or aluminum framwork. Or just a large wooden circle with the formica attached. I wanted to know if anyone has found a readily available source for round "disks", or whatever they used for the altitude bearings.
Thanks
STeve

December 24, 2002 01:19 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Meade 826 (8"F/6) Converted to a Dob

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

I tossed the original EQ mount, and replaced it with my homemade mount. The tube fully rotates 360 degrees with homemade rotating rings made from steel ball bearings and a race cut from a "core box" router bit. When looking at the zenith, the eyepiece is exactly at my eyeball height standing up. And since the entire tube rotates, I can keep the eyepiece at my eyeball height no matter what altitude the scope is pointed at. It's neet to never to have to bend your back no matter what objected you look at. The scope weighs in at near 100lbs, so its very steady but mooves sooth. The scope breaks down into 3 pieces.

January 1, 2003 04:41 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Old Meade 826 (8"F/6) Mirror Cell Question

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

Im currently upgrading and rebuilding my Christmass of '79 Meade 826 reflector. On the mirror cell and on the inside of the tube is a red dot. This dot was to alighn the mirror cell and mirror to the tube to "center the mirror" in the tube. My mirror cell still has the red dot, but the dot long since came off the inside of the tube. The cell will fit into the tube in all 3 position with all 3 mounting screws matching up in all 3 positions. Does anyone have a meade 826 that was produced in the fall of 79 that can tell me what position the red dot in the tube is? If you look at the mirror end of the tube and the focuser is at 12-o'clock, is the red dot at 12, 4 or 8 o'clock position. I realize that there may be differences from one owner to the next, so feel free to have more than one person answer the question. Im hoping that most or all of the red dots are on the same side of the tube, since typically during mass production or during "lots" that all the tubes were made the same. I just want to get the mirror back to its original position. Thanks in advace.
Steve

January 1, 2003 04:48 PM Forum: Meade

Old Meade 826 (8" F/6) mirror cell question

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

Im currently upgrading and rebuilding my Christmass of '79 Meade 826 reflector. On the mirror cell and on the inside of the tube is a red dot. This dot was to alighn the mirror cell and mirror to the tube to "center the mirror" in the tube. My mirror cell still has the red dot, but the dot long since came off the inside of the tube. The cell will fit into the tube in all 3 position with all 3 mounting screws matching up in all 3 positions. Does anyone have a meade 826 that was produced in the fall of 79 that can tell me what position the red dot in the tube is? If you look at the mirror end of the tube and the focuser is at 12-o'clock, is the red dot at 12, 4 or 8 o'clock position. I realize that there may be differences from one owner to the next, so feel free to have more than one person answer the question. Im hoping that most or all of the red dots are on the same side of the tube, since typically during mass production or during "lots" that all the tubes were made the same. I just want to get the mirror back to its original position. Thanks in advace.
Steve

January 8, 2003 12:39 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Where can I buy clear focuser grease?

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

I am rebuilding my old Meade 826 which has the 2" focuser. Where can I buy some clear grease that works much the same or better than the old grease.
Steve

February 1, 2003 01:18 AM Forum: TeleVue

Check out the new TV products

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

http://www.televue.com/WSP2003/NewProdsJan2003/New_at_WSP2003.htm

November 26, 2003 02:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Basic 6" Dob

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

This is my 2nd telescope project. It was a stargazer steve 6" Dob, which had a very very low Dob Mount. So I am building a new traditional mount for the tube.

November 28, 2003 07:43 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Basic 6" Dob

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

This here a photo of a 6" Dob project that I have been working on for a few months. The tube is from a Stargazer Steve 6" telescope that was never completed. I sold the mount and then built this new mount. The mount is a little rough now, but after some sanding and varnish, it should look better.

January 25, 2004 06:33 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Stargazer Steve Conversion Project

Posted By Steve VanHyfte

This is a Stargazer Steve 6" Tube that I built a new mount and modified the tube. The scope has 2 bases, one for standing up, the other for sitting down. I took out the massive 5 lb counterwieght in the back, moved the mirror down as far as I could, moved the focuser back, put the rigel finder on top of the old focuser hole, added a 6x30 finder, scope works well.