My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jin Kim

January 22, 2003 09:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Who makes the lenses?

Posted By Jin Kim

We now know that Optron, a subsidiary of Canon (as in Canon cameras), makes the lenses for Takahashi... what about Televue and Astro-Physics? There is a rumor that Televue uses lenses imported from Taiwan for their product line. Just curious...

January 30, 2003 10:10 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

The Horsehead Nebula

Posted By Jin Kim

Has anyone seen it? If yes... what was the equipment and settings used on this tricky object? In detail please... the scope, ep, filter, mount, etc. etc..

February 5, 2003 09:23 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

What if there's no moon

Posted By Jin Kim

What if the moon gets knocked out of the orbit? How would it affect the earth? Are we going to experience any dramatic weather change? How? My 10-yr old son asked me this question today. I know there will be no such thing as low tide/high tide... Thanks for inputs.

February 24, 2003 07:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Other sites

Posted By Jin Kim

Hi guys. Not that I don't appreciate this stie but do any of you know what other sites there are similar to this, with a forum, basically a cyber-wateringhole for amateur astronomers and wannabes (like me)???

March 20, 2003 12:17 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

What war?

Posted By Jin Kim

Seems it's a massive target practice, using live targets (=Iraqi soldiers & military facilities etc..). Perhaps someone can argue their lives are worthless because they're not Americans. I hope it's done and over tomorrow and get what we want.

May 26, 2003 10:37 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

at the RTMC

Posted By Jin Kim

That little boy is my son, of course...

May 26, 2003 11:44 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

from my backyard

Posted By Jin Kim

The camera is Canon Powershot S50. I wanted to blur the background... I'm sure I wasn't doing it right...

June 30, 2003 07:04 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

who owns the park?

Posted By Jin Kim

date: june 26, 2003
camera: canon power shot s50
setting: full auto

July 4, 2003 01:16 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Please help!

Posted By Jin Kim

I recently got my Intes MK67 back from ITE, and despite all the mishaps I was anxious to try the scope. Reasonable conditions this evening so I hauled out the scope. The first target was Jupiter which was positioned near horizon. I was very disappointed that the images were worse than before. Totally undefined surface and shimmering edges. Then around midnight I saw Mars was climbing slowing in the east. Using a Vixen LV 20mm I started at about 90x... I couldn't believe my eye. What I was seeing was a burning planet! It looked more like a fireball. Wobbling and wiggling all over! What is going on with this Intes? Is it simply out of collimation or are the optics very dirty? Or some other problem(s)? It all started to happen after this scope was serviced by some expert working for ITE. I presume this expert (?) cleaned the optics by using paper towel. Or might've done something nasty (mistakenly). This shouldn,t be happening. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this scope?

August 5, 2003 08:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Light Pollution Supression filter

Posted By Jin Kim

I'm looking for information regarding LPS filters. Does it really work (for visual usage)? I know they come in many different sizes - 31mm (1.25"), 48mm, 60mm, 70mm. Why so many different sizes? Which ones, if any, are particularly desirable for visual usage? And yes, I'm a newbie living in southern California.