My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Menagh

February 2, 2003 09:57 PM Forum: Meade

Replacement cost for LX-90 OTA?

Posted By David Menagh

I bought an LX-90 used and it arrived with a a broken corrector palte, scratched primary and secondary mirrors, and a lot of scratches inside the tube from the broken glass. UPS will inspect things soon and hopefully take care of things since it was insured.

However, does anyone have an idea what it would cost to purchase a new LX-90 OTA with UHTC? At least a ballpark figure... If possible, I'd rather get an entirely new unit without scratches, new mirrors, glass, etc. instead of sending in what I have to Meade and asking them to make repairs, as long as UPS will cover it.

For all I know, UPS may just claim the entire scope and reimburse the insurance amount and leave me with nothing except a check... I hope not, because it was difficult to find an LX-90 w/UHTC for sale used...

Thanks
Dave

April 13, 2003 03:21 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Problem viewing stars - any recommendations?

Posted By David Menagh

I seem to have difficulty getting each eye to bring distant horizontal object together, and I'm wondering if this is common and if there is anything I can do to help this. I don't believe I have a collimation issue -- my wife said she sees a single object/star. I've played with the binos's to spread them apart or bring each eyepiece closer together, but nonething I've tried solves the problem.

I got my first binos late last year. I don't seem to have a problem with lower magnification binos, like my 7x50's. I can almost bring the objects together with my 15x70's, but my 20x80LW's are harder, and therefore dissappointing to use unless I close one eye. If I try hard, I can see the stars move closer together but I can't get it quite there. I first had a problem viewing terrestrial objects with my 15x70's, but after a little while I finally adapted. But not so when looking at the stars...

Any ideas/suggestions? (I do wear gas-perm contacts... could that affect anything?)

Thanks
Dave

September 16, 2003 04:57 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Knight Owl eyepieces

Posted By David Menagh

Has anyone ever tried any Knight Owl brand plossls or barlows?

I figure its easy to assume any off-brand eyepiece isn't worth considering, but it seems there are a number of optical products comming out of Asia which are decent quality and good bang for the buck (especially for starters) and I was wondering if Knight Owl might be some of those.

I've seen some Knight Owl 2" barlows on Ebay and some plossls at http://www.owlservices.com/cart/index.html

So, has anyone taken a chance with these, and if so, what did you conclude?

Dave

January 4, 2003 06:27 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

15x70 Barska ,Bear ,Oberwerk ,Galileo,Help

Posted By David Menagh

I bought the Barska 15x70's from Heartland about a month ago and was impressed with them. They were the first binoculars I've ever bought.

I just purchased the 20x80's from Burgess and am even more impressed with them! They are incredibly lightweight -- I think they weigh less than the Barska 15x70's. I haven't actually weighed them, but a guest made the observation before I did.

If you can afford the $150, give the Burgess 20x80 LW's a try.

Dave