Posts Made By: Brian Maynard

April 12, 2003 08:24 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Autoguiding Question

Posted By Brian Maynard

I bought a used laptop for my ST-5 to use for autoguiding.
It uses Win 98 has a pentium 2 processor and 64 megs of mem. I installed CCDSOFT. When I set everything up evertything thing went fine. I was able to establish a link with the camera, set the temp and so on but when it came to taking an image to focus or for autoguiding it would say, Exposing light frame, and thats it, it will not download the image to my laptop. Then I installed CCDOPS and everything works fine, the image is exposed and downloaded.
Is my laptop too old for CCDSOFT or am I missing something?
I would prefer to use CCDSOFT but I dont mind useing CCDOPS Im just wondering if I can fix this little problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

April 16, 2003 12:17 AM Forum: Religion

My sister died today

Posted By Brian Maynard

I lost a sister and a best friend today. She died from cancer. She was 35. What I know for sure is she is not in pain any more. What I, or anyone, don't know is where is she at now. Everyone says that death is a part of life. I dissagree. The death of a loved one is tramatic to say the least. Could you pick the day you want to die? As a believer of God I know that he has given all of us a gift. The will to live. I dont believe that God took my sister, or anyone who dies. The Bible says that time and unforseen occurances befalls us all. Saddly, we as humans with the short amount of time we all have, can not understand the infinite wisdom of our Creator. I just wanted to get that off my chest. If you have God, you have hope. What do people who dont believe in the All Mighty do when someone they love dies? Where is your hope? Will evolution bring them back?

April 16, 2003 10:52 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Observatory construction underway

Posted By Brian Maynard

Im finally starting to build my observatory. I thought I had planned everything but as usual,for me, I realized that on the rolloff roof there will be some gaps between the roof and walls on the front and back of the structure, wich is the direction the roof will slide off. I would like a nice tight seal when the roof is closed. Does anyone have some suggestions or prefferabley some pictures on what to do.

April 17, 2003 11:23 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

South pole moon

Posted By Brian Maynard

The heavily cratered region of da moon. ST-5C, 8" LX200 @ f/10

June 22, 2003 11:47 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

My observatory is done!

Posted By Brian Maynard

It took me several weekends to complete but it was worth the time effort and money. I attached an image of Saturn. I had to fill the corner with somethingwink

June 29, 2003 12:31 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Omega Nebula

Posted By Brian Maynard

Just having some fun. Its not a perfect image like most on this site but I thought I'd share. ST7EI, 8"LX200 @ F/6.3

June 29, 2003 12:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

autoguider question

Posted By Brian Maynard

While I'm digging through the manuals I thought I'd ask you guys. A first time try at autoguiding wit an ST5, the stars in the image kinda look like little crosses. It's like the guider isnt makeing the correction fast enough or something. What up wit dat???

July 5, 2003 12:16 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

My Mars

Posted By Brian Maynard

Hats off to the wonderful job you guys do on planet imageing. On my scope, I know the colmination is good but when it comes to focusing on a planet that's jiggeling like a bowl of celestial jello how do you get around that? This image of Mars was taken on 7-3-03. I have an 8" LX200 and the imager is an ST5c. The image is about 150 frames each of RGB. Also used a 5x Powermate barlow. Any tips from the pros would be appreciated.

July 5, 2003 01:43 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Hercules Cluster

Posted By Brian Maynard

M13 Luminance ST7 8" LX200 @ F/3.3

July 5, 2003 08:15 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Can the equipment take the heat?

Posted By Brian Maynard

Man is it hot! I was wondering how well a ccd camera and telescope takes the heat. In my observatory it is 105 degrees. I have a dehumidifier that keeps the moisture in check but does nothing for the temperture. Can someone tell me if it's ok or do I need some A/C.