Image of the day

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Theodore Smith

February 26, 2006 06:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron's New Sky Scout

Posted By Theodore Smith

Just read the description on the thing: that's quite the device....but for my money I'd rather buy a good star atlas and put the difference into a pair of good binos or toward a larger optical tube or another eyepiece, or something else that doesn't chew up batteries....

August 26, 2006 05:25 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Hummer shot with softboxes

Posted By Theodore Smith

Those are simply amazing shots....'scue my ignorance, but what is a "softbox," and do you have pix of your setup?

Ted Smith
Guilford, CT

February 24, 2008 07:24 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Lunar Eclipse from Guilford, CT

Posted By Theodore Smith

Another shot, halfway to totality

Ted Smith
Guilford, CT

July 25, 2011 05:46 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Shipping Surprise

Posted By Theodore Smith

At least you got it back!

July 30, 2011 06:58 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Selling on-line

Posted By Theodore Smith

Don't do this....It sounds like a scam to me. Get 100% up front; you MIGHT offer to take it back if they aren't satisfied, but if they receive the item and you've only received 10% there's no guarantee that they'll give you the other 90%....Out of USA shipping and handling is dicey; you will be dealing with customs and all that fun stuff. Furthermore, if they stiff you and this is an overseas transaction, you are SOL; you have no recourse.

July 30, 2011 07:01 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Job Security

Posted By Theodore Smith

Love it...Job security until the boss oops I mean Heron comes around and picks them off....

September 6, 2011 09:30 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Linton, here's the Criterion 10"

Posted By Theodore Smith

Oh man! That's beautiful!

January 20, 2012 11:56 PM Forum: Prayer Line

My Wife

Posted By Theodore Smith

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there; we are all pulling for you both. I would like to offer to you that my experience during my wife's several year struggle with her now inoperable cancer has been that she will amaze you with her strength, you will find "The Right Stuff" in yourself you did not know you had, you will find support from the most unexpected and varied places (including each other), this will bring you both closer to each other, and that you (both) will discover things about yourselves and each other that you did not even suspect. It's a tough road; nobody else can walk it for you, but you are not alone.

February 4, 2012 04:34 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

How Culturally Isolated Are You?

Posted By Theodore Smith

So I got an 8 out of 20, but what difference does that make? Oh and by the way, I don't know (and don't really care) who the NASCAR dude was, I don't smoke, I have owned a pickup truck, I fish on our lake, I support the right of the people to keep and bear arms, I disapprove of healthcare for men women and children being used as a political football, the government has no business dictating what I can or can't do in my own bedroom, the separation of church and state should be absolute, churches should be taxed (especially those which attempt to affect politics), I feel that the ultra-rich are being allowed to commit financial rape without suffering the consequences, my mother ranches cattle at the tender age of 85, my kid sister holds a Master's license for vessels of any tonnage on any ocean, our neighbor runs his own business repairing alloy wheels, we have 3 Architects (I'm one of them and my wife is a Professor Emeritus of Sociology) a couple of retirees, one Architect's ex-wife and an arsonist (we think) on our block; so I guess I'm just an oddball. I don't think that the quiz really gets into all the dark corners or really supports the author's thesis that the USA is coming apart at the themes. He might have been more on point if he'd looked more at the political polarization and increasing incivility of politicians in particular and people in general. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. As long as we can agree to disagree, and can talk to one another, and can chip in and help each other out after Tropical Storm Irene and the Halloween Noreaster, this country is going to be OK.

May 27, 2012 10:57 AM Forum: Prayer Line

I don't know how to address this.....

Posted By Theodore Smith

All: My wife passed away last night at 6:15 PM....Thanks much for all your best wishes. Ted