My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pat Plunkett

December 26, 2004 02:48 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: decent brand clear CCD cover?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Have you tried a 35mm film container top? It should be close...

Pat

January 15, 2005 07:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dew Advice

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Hi All:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but it's one of those perennial "winter" questions... When I come in from a cold night, should I put the lens caps on my refractor and Mak-Cass? I remember seeing something about leaving the caps off and letting the optics equalize, which I have been doing for a while, but saw something recently (SOMEwhere) that said it's better to "cover up". Which do you advise???

Pat

February 25, 2005 07:03 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Re: Has any body used a Digital SLR camera with PS

Posted By Pat Plunkett

I'm planning on trying IF I ever see the sun again!!!

Pat

February 26, 2005 03:59 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Re: Has any body used a Digital SLR camera with PS

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Well, I got to try today and I don't seem to have anything that will reach focus - oh well...

Pat

June 1, 2005 07:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: A Blue Jupiter

Posted By Pat Plunkett

WOW!!! Guess we don't need Hubble any more after all!!! NICE image!

Pat

January 27, 2006 06:03 AM Forum: Star Parties

Saturn Watch Tonight

Posted By Pat Plunkett

The West Liberty State College SMART Center and the Astrolabe Astronomy Club are sponsoring a Saturn watch tonight, Jan 27, at Brooke Hills Park. BHP is up in the hills from Wellsburg, WV (northern panhandle). Just follow route 27 for about 4 miles and look for the signs. Starts about 7PM and goes 'til ???

Pat

May 20, 2006 07:19 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky Scout GOTO?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

I was looking at this thing (the Celestron Sky Scout) and wondering how the heck it does azimuth and elevation, when a thought occurred (a somewhat rare event!)... Could it be mounted on a scope, lined up with the finder, and used as a portable GOTO? It seems like one could bring it to a star party and take it to different scopes, plop it on, and then say, "see - THAT's where XXX is!" Has anyone tried anything like this?

Pat

June 16, 2006 09:19 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Satellite explosion???

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Not sure where to post this...

Did anyone see a satellite explode tonight (6/16) at about 9:12 PM Eastern? I was looking at it at about 140 power and it was moving only slightly when it exploded into a LOT of little pieces. It was about 5 degrees (ish) east of Jupiter when the event occurred. I could see a circular object with what appeared to be an antenna with lights on it just prior to its demise.

I've looked on the NASA sight but don't see anything about it...

Pat

April 11, 2007 08:37 PM Forum: Star Parties

Cherry Springs Star Party

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Just went to the website and there is still nothing posted for schedule, speakers, vendors, etc... With the event a little over a month away, I would think it would be a little farther along. I, for one, don't plan on registering until I know what is planned. I SURELY hope that the weather is better than last year! It couldn't be much worse!

Pat

June 10, 2002 06:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Help with Telescope purchase

Posted By Pat Plunkett

I currently have a Discovery PDHQ 10" Dob and have found it to have extremely fine optics. To make a long story short, I have had the following: TV Pronto (still have this), Orion (Vixen) VX-120 refractor, Celestron 8 (old, orange tube), Discovery 10" (still have), Cave 12.5" f/6, Coulter 13.1", and a Meade 16" Equatorial Reflector. I would HIGHLY recommend my current setup - i.e. a small, high quality, wide field refractor and a 10" Dob (I like f/6 'cause it's GREAT on planets). Anything bigger is REALLY hard to move around and anything smaller isn't "quite good enough". I was just at the Laurel Highlands Star Cruise and found that my Dob can hang in there with any but the biggest of the Dobs, due to it's quality optics.

Oh yeah, I've also got the Orion Megaview 15X80 binocs - also highly recommended.

With 20 acres, I think I would have some kind of permanant setup with a big equatorial 'scope, but still keep a 10" for going to star parties and a small refractor for quick looks.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Pat