New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pat Plunkett

January 2, 2004 03:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Help a newbie out....

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Hi:

I've used all types of scopes and have owned everything from a Pronto to a Meade 16" equatorial. Currently, I have a truss-tube 12.5" and think I've finally hit the mark (between portability and resolution). I have owned both 8" and 10" SCTs and feel confident in telling you that the 10" is SIGNIFICANTLY more of a pain to cart and set up. The images are better, but not that much better. Personally, if I had $2000 to spend (and wanted the same things you want), I'd buy a decent used 10" Dob AND a used Pronto (or equivalent). You'd be amazed at the images the little refractors give on most "stuff" and the wide fields are incredible. BTW, I would recommend staying at f/5 on the Dob - I think it'll still fit in a Jetta. If you were to get a truss-tube 10", I'd go to f/6...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Pat

January 19, 2004 01:22 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M31 meets Canon Digital Rebel

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Hi Ivan:

I, too, have a Digital Rebel and have tried a little through the 'scope... How did you hold the shutter down past 30 seconds? Do you have a remote? My only disappointment is that there is no way to connect a cable release or remote flash. I do, however, LOVE the camera - in fact I was out today (37 pictures) shooting icicles!

Pat

January 21, 2004 02:51 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

newbie needs help! does size matter?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Tom:

Get ye to a star party!!! You can check out the differences in person. I tend to look toward the lower sizes, personaaly, as I like the portability. A 15" is portable, but a 20" is another beastie. Also, you can get by with a stepstool for a 15" and a 20" requires a ladder. There IS a difference visually, but there are too many other factors to consider before going a seeing the for yourself. Again I say...

Get Ye To A Star Party!!!

Pat

January 25, 2004 04:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Recommended First Scope???

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Mark:

I concur with the other guys - XT-6 is the way to go. I got one for my son and we both use it quite a bit. It maintains collimation pretty well, is very portable, and give fantastic views of the planets. I've seen them (used) here on AstroMart for around $200...

Pat

March 18, 2004 10:08 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

St Patty's Jupiter

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Paul:

Great shot, but you got the day wrong! Patty is a GIRL'S name!

Pat (Paddy while growing up!)

P.S. Does this sound like a pet peeve?

May 5, 2004 01:21 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

LONG focus lens???

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Dan,

The beauty of the moveable mirror, stationary lens is that you can "launch and leave" it for a while whereas the ep projection method requires constant attention. We were able to leave our setup for about 10 minutes at a time while projecting onto a building with some poster board attached. It's actually quite cool!!! Also, I've "smoked" eyepieces in the past using projection.

Pat

Pat

May 10, 2004 12:24 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

10" f/5 Starbuckets with Servocat

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Dave:

I have one of Neil's 12.5" scopes and carry it in and out of the house. It's a bit ungainly, but quite manageable, so I'm sure a 10" would be no trouble at all. He can supply a shroud with the scope to block stray light, so that shouldn't be a problem either. As far as set-up/take-down when I need to transport it, it takes about 10 mnutes including collimation.

Pat

June 1, 2004 12:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Who makes high quality newtonians?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Check out StarBuckets scopes - Royce mirrors and top of the line components. www.starbuckets.com

Pat

June 6, 2004 12:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What is the Problem???

Posted By Pat Plunkett

I'm with Mike above - looks like pinched optics to me. I did some mirror work on a Coulter 13.1" mirror and ended up with the same thing. You say you re-glued your mirror - did you put a nail or something similar in the glue to make sure the mirror wasn't resting directly on the pads? If not, I'd say do it again. Do you have side clamps? If so, loosen them. Good luck!

Pat

June 7, 2004 07:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Wide Field Viewing

Posted By Pat Plunkett

I really can't see what you're gaining over a conventional Dob mounting - it looks heavier and, as you said, a little shaky...

Pat