My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pat Plunkett

August 17, 2005 05:57 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Upgrade Orion XT8 to what?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

In answer to your last question... The 10" PDHQ is (in my opinion) the top end of "relatively easily portable". I was able to carry it around fairly easily and it JUST fit into the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. At f/6, it's a great scope. I've since moved up to a 12.5" truss...

Pat

November 25, 2005 03:30 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

What can you see thru a PST??

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Check out the pictures in this forum. Many of them are taken by PSTs. There is really no comparison with a white-light filter as you can see festoons, plages, granulation, prominences, etc with the PST which you can't see in white light no matter HOW big your telescope. The other cool thing is that you can "de-tune" it to where it looks like a white-light filter. It's quite interesting to see sunspots in Ha light and then in white.

Pat

December 19, 2005 06:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How good is the etx 125, NEED HELP!!!!

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Hi:

I've only looked thru 2 ETX-125s (older ones), but was totally unimpressed with the optics in both. The goto was a problem on both, too... I'd recommend almost anything else. This is my own humble opinion and I might've seen two bad examples, so take this for what it's worth (which could very well be nothing).

Pat

December 30, 2005 06:21 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Anyone Image at Mauna Kea?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

My only suggestion would be to get away from the building and road as much as possible. I don't know if they'll let you out in the dirt that's past the picnic tables to the south of the building, but that seems like it would be the best spot...

Good luck and be warm,

Pat

January 2, 2006 06:12 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Plato

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Favorite crater - favorite lunar imager!!!

Thanks, Wes!!!

January 5, 2006 07:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

I got $500.00 and NEED to get something

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Televue Nagler 22

No doubt about it (I used my own $500 for this!). You'll actually have a bit left over (but not very much!)

Pat

January 7, 2006 07:43 PM Forum: Star Parties

Any star parties in Ohio?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

There's a star party relatively close to you (~3 hours) near Pittsburgh. Check out www.lhstarcruise.org

Pat

February 8, 2006 12:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Seeking suggestions for a solar scope to be used f

Posted By Pat Plunkett

I think the PST would fill your needs perfectly. It's bulletproof and shows great views of virtually all the solar features a neophyte would want to see. the other good thing about it is it is really affordable. One of the drawbacks of having the really cool stuff at a public star party (or sun party) is that peoples' faces drop when they ask how much the setup costs - I KNOW you've seen this happen when they ask you the "how much" question (and lots DO ask). If there's something they can afford, they'll be much more likely to investigate further.

Pat

February 20, 2006 01:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

meade apo/ vs orion

Posted By Pat Plunkett

Why not just get an Orion ED-100? You won't lose THAT much and you'll be with Orion.

Pat

February 24, 2006 03:29 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

If M42 is green, is this with a filter?

Posted By Pat Plunkett

I see a faint green tinge with no filter (12.5" Royce mirror)...

Pat