From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

HorseHead and Flame

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: jim wolfe

October 17, 2006 12:55 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Help I want to start to take photo's

Posted By jim wolfe

I want to start out simple at first and may not understand the lingo. I have an older but nice Nikon 35MM, I bougth a T Ring to go where the lens should go. I have a Celestron C8, where do I go from here, what else to do I need ot what do I need to hook the camera up to the scope, what about eyepiece photog.? Thanks.

December 4, 2006 10:24 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Need Help about size and Focal Length.

Posted By jim wolfe

I have a C8 SCT with a focla length of 2000, My 7mm ep is too powerfull for it, moon is OK but overall a 12mm is about as strong as I can enjoy a view with. I figure at 12mm the magnafication is at 166. I want to move up I thought to a 10 inch and thought about a newt based on price and so on, but in looking I noticed that the FL on this is about 1000, which is half of my C8 yet it's a bigger scope. Now I'm confused. I think my 7MM will work better in the 10 inch but mag will only be 142 which is less than a 12mm in my C8. What am I missing??? Thanks Jim

December 4, 2006 12:01 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Posted By jim wolfe

I accidentally posted this in the wrong place, hope this fixes that, I have a C8 SCT with a focal length of 2000, my 7mm EP is too powerfull for it, moon is OK but overall a 12mm is about as strong as I can enjoy a view with. I figure at 12mm the magnafication is at 166. I want to move up so I thought I might sell it and buy a 10inch newt based on price and so on but in looking I noticed that the FL on this is about 1000, which is half of my C8 yet it's a bigge scope. Now I'm confused. I think my 7mm will work better in the 10 inch but magn. will only be 142x which is less than a 12mm in my C8. It sounds like a C8 will be better than a 10" newt for view?? Meade makes a 75LDX 10' that I thought may be better than my C8 but after reading things I'm not sure I would really be moving up? What am I missing? ...Jim

December 4, 2006 12:35 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Posted By jim wolfe

jim wolfe said:

I have a C8 SCT with a focla length of 2000, My 7mm ep is too powerfull for it, moon is OK but overall a 12mm is about as strong as I can enjoy a view with. I figure at 12mm the magnafication is at 166. I want to move up I thought to a 10 inch and thought about a newt based on price and so on, but in looking I noticed that the FL on this is about 1000, which is half of my C8 yet it's a bigger scope. Now I'm confused. I think my 7MM will work better in the 10 inch but mag will only be 142 which is less than a 12mm in my C8. What am I missing??? Thanks Jim
reposted in beginners,thanks

December 4, 2006 07:50 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Posted By jim wolfe

Thanks to all who replied and helped. I really like the C8 Powerstar I have it is very easy to use and set up, I think it souds like if I move up a larger SCT may suit me better, I just need to save a little more for that. When I use my 7MM Nagler things just look so faint and dark, the 9mm Nagler looks noticably better, so I just assumed that it was at its limit at 9mm. It may need collimnation but I don't know how to do that. Overall things seem to line up pretty good when I look through them. Thanks again to all who replied and don't be shy feel free to share your thoughts with me, Jim