Posts Made By: Steve Dexter

May 6, 2003 05:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Optics and Mothballs

Posted By Steve Dexter

The outdoor shed where I keep my telescopes has often been burrowed under by woodchucks. A local manufacturer of portable buildings recently suggested that I sprinkle mothballs under the building to keep the critters away. Apparently, they don't like the smell. Even if that works, I'm concerned about the effect the fumes might have on my optics. Does anyone know if mothballs would damage the coatings on telescope mirrors and lenses?
Thanks, Steve.

January 4, 2005 04:01 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade - It's There Now!

Posted By Steve Dexter

As of 10:45 pm EST, the announcement of the new RCX400 Ritchey-Chretien scopes are on the Meade web site. 10, 12, 14 and 16 inch f/8. Looks pretty interesting. grin
Steve

December 28, 2005 08:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Advice on New Mount

Posted By Steve Dexter

I do visual observing only with a TEC 140 refractor on an old EQ6 mount with the Losmandy saddle plate and LXD55 GoTo conversion. I have become dissatisfied with the steadiness of the setup – especially with my TV 76 on top of the TEC 140. The total load is 35 to 40 lb depending on exactly how I set it up.

I am considering replacing the EQ6 with a Losmandy G11 with Gemini or a Tak EM200 Temma 2 with the mahogany legs. Steady, reliable, available and weight of the assembled mount are the primary concerns. The price difference is less important. I leave the mount all assembled, and my weight limit for carrying it without counter weights and OTA out of my storage building is about 70 lb. The EQ6 is 60 lb. I figure the G11 is about 70 lb, while the EM200 is probably closer to 50 lb. Does anyone familiar with these mounts have any advice? Can the EM200 carry 35 to 40 lb steadier than the EQ6 for visual? The Celestron CGE mount might also work, but I think that is too heavy for me. Thanks, Steve Dexter

December 30, 2005 02:14 AM Forum: Takahashi

Mount Advice

Posted By Steve Dexter

Hi everyone - I'm thingking of replacing an old EQ6 mount that is too shaky with a 35 to 40 lb load (TEC 140 with TV76 piggy back) with a Tak EM200 Temma2 mount. Do you think that will be steadier than the EQ6, or will I have to go to the NJP to get a marked improvement? I do only visual observation, but I like a steady mount.
Thanks, Steve

January 27, 2006 04:10 PM Forum: Takahashi

Temma Hand Controller

Posted By Steve Dexter

Does anyone have experience with using the Temma hand controller in cold weather? From the photo on the Anacortes web site, it looks like it would be impossible to use the keyboard with gloves on. :S
Thanks, Steve

March 9, 2006 06:31 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Location of Polaris

Posted By Steve Dexter

For rough polar alignment purposes, is there anywhere on the internet where I can find the location of polaris with respect to the true north polar axis (as it would appear in a Telrad) given monthly or so for the next few years? Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve

February 12, 2007 07:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

T&T Binocular Mounts

Posted By Steve Dexter

Does anyone know if T&T Binocular Mounts is still in business? Their web site is still up, but there has been no response to either e-mail or phone messages in the last two weeks. Thanks for any information - Steve

December 11, 2002 08:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How long must we wait?

Posted By Steve Dexter

"They keep telling me that Losmandy is behind due to the 'Titan' debut."

If I may ask, what is the "Titan Debut"? The only mount I know of by that name is the EQ6 clone on the Orion site.

March 3, 2004 07:53 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Just curious...

Posted By Steve Dexter

Yes, if when you logged in you checked the box that says: "keep me logged in at this computer", that is exactly what it will do. I can stay logged in for a week while truning the computer off each night. On the other hand, if I visit AstroMart from another computer, then it logs me off on the first one. I think Herb calls it a "persistent Log-in"
Steve D.

September 1, 2004 05:55 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Hesitant to ask, but here goes....

Posted By Steve Dexter

Hi Joe, You've already received the best advice. Get thee out to a star party and look for yourself. Only you can judge what a binoviewer will do for your own optical situation. I have astigmatism in both eyes (worse in the right) and rather large floaters in both. I can tell you that a binoviewer helps greatly to counteract the effects of the floaters. In order to deal with the astigmatism, I have long eye relief eyepieces (Radians, 18, 14 and 10) allowing me to keep the glasses on - works for me. I own two binoviewers, BW Optic and Denk IIs. Both help equally with my optical defects. With your eyes being a bit different, I would suggest getting a unit with individual focus adjustments. Enjoy the sky! 8) Steve