Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Snowy Piliated Woodpecker

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Chang

July 17, 2003 10:46 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Laminating plywood

Posted By William Chang

Is it really necessary to park a truck on the plywood to be laminated, as shown in The Book? How much PSI is enough? Thanks,

-- William

July 18, 2003 12:10 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Yahoo Group gone!?

Posted By William Chang

The controversy was too much???

When I did internet strategy for Infoseek back in '98, my working definition of a "brand" is "a loyal community of users". Burgess Optics has built a great "brand" of "would-be users" (!), partly by creating and pre-selling very high expectations through word-of-mouth. But that strategy carries its risks: the online community cannot be censored; any attempt to do so will likely backfire, again through word-of-mouth.

I hope these issues get resolved.

-- William

p.s. I never caught any of these "too good to be true" deals and have not purchased anything from Burgess Optics. Might like to.

July 29, 2003 01:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Image of the Day...

Posted By William Chang

Jim Ives' beaut on the left-hand-side of Astromart's page (if you are using a browser). Try looking at it (not the thumbnail!) with one eye shut. Instant, powerful 3D effect. Please let me know whether this works for you.

-- William Chang (Saratoga CA)

August 5, 2003 05:05 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Which Oberwerk(s)?

Posted By William Chang

The following choices look to me like the "sweet spots"... Are the FOV figures reliable, and which one(s) do you recommend? Also, any difference optically between the 20x80LW and Standard?

12x60 5.7* 2.6lb $110
15x70 4.3* 3.1lb $150
20x80LW 3.5* 3.6lb $200
22x100 3.3* 8.8lb $400

Thanks, -- William

August 9, 2003 10:02 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Eyepieces for binoviewing with eyeglasses at f/5

Posted By William Chang

and not break the bank, again (having just spent $$$ on a DenkII/OCS)... any suggestions? Scopes: 48" focal length Newts (8" and 11"), and 4" f/5 refractor (Genesis). The OCS gives 1.25-2.5X of "Barlowing", which really helps on the high-power side.

(Thinking out loud)

Low-power: it's all too easy to reach max FOV so (for me right now) it comes down to choosing between 35 and 30 Ultima (I have one of each). The 35 is a bit wider; the eye-relief is a bit much but I wear glasses. Will BV make the kidney bean worse?

Mid-power: have a pair of 18 Ortho, plus a lone 18 Ultima and lone 26 TV Plossl (Japan, out of production). Should I stick with the narrow Ortho or get another Ultima (and sell the Ortho)?

High-power: now things get tough -- because I need glasses to binoview, even when I normally could try to do without. Would Plossl/Ultima in the 10-12.5 range be too tight, and is Ortho any better?

Planetary-power: I don't want to spring for a pair of Radians yet. I have a 6 Expanse, it's OK, but tends to ghost and show a distinctly warm tint -- are these (6 and 9) the best I can do on a budget?

Or will I eventually either give up BV or switch to SCT? :-)

Again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

-- William

August 10, 2003 12:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Posted By William Chang

... over at the Eyepieces Forum. -- William

August 10, 2003 12:05 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Posted By William Chang

... over at the Eyepieces Forum. -- William

August 15, 2003 08:34 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Max TFOV with BV?

Posted By William Chang

Does a (1.25") binoviewer limit the maximum _true_ FOV, in addition to the EP fieldstop? For example, the 35mm Ultima cheats by not having a fieldstop, and is definitely wider than the 30mm. Do I get to keep that extra bit of FOV in a Denkmeier II (or another BV) or lose it anyway, to the 27mm clear aperture of the Denk? Thanks, -- William

August 18, 2003 10:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Short pier for Giro/Newtonian?

Posted By William Chang

Can anyone suggest a (not-too-expensive) short pier for supporting a Giro GR2-mounted 15lb Newtonian? Actually, it's a Meade SN6 f/5 whose center of mass is close to the top end (corrector plate, focuser, 2" EP, etc) -- maybe 20" from the mirror end. I figured a pier would give the scope more clearance.

I have been to AstroSky's web site but there doesn't appear to be contact info or any link to click on. Is theirs a good pier (if still available)? How about Ken Dauzat's short pier? Or should I look at the Vixen extension on a tripod, or something else? If I dug up an old Newt pier, what's the best way to convert it to 3/8" bolt?

Thanks in advance!

-- William

August 19, 2003 08:50 PM Forum: TeleVue

Headless setscrew problem -- please help

Posted By William Chang

The setscrew head on the drawtube of my Genesis has loosened and come off -- so I cannot turn or remove the diagonal. Can't get a grip either with a plier. Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

-- William