Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Snowy Piliated Woodpecker

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Chang

December 9, 2004 12:04 AM Forum: Refractors

Skywatcher 6" f/5 or Burgess 1278?

Posted By William Chang

For DSO and for travel, not planets... -- William

January 26, 2005 11:30 AM Forum: Telescope Making

SCT male-threaded flange?

Posted By William Chang

Does anyone know of a source for something like this? Bolt it on as the "rear cell" and all SCT accessories become available. Thanks, -- William

January 26, 2005 11:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

SCT male-threaded flange?

Posted By William Chang

Does anyone know of a source for something like this? Bolt it on as the "rear cell" and all SCT accessories become available. Thanks, -- William

January 27, 2005 11:33 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Mirror cell: Adding more points?

Posted By William Chang

I have a standard 9-point-support 16" cell and a 16.5" f/4.5 1"-thin quartz mirror.

Although there were a few old posts on the ATM List that this is actually fine, I'd appreciate suggestions on improving the cell. Is there a way (physical and geometric designs) to add another layer of points without completely rebuilding the cell?

Appreciated, -- William

January 30, 2005 08:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Does Intes Micro MCT work with Binoviewer?

Posted By William Chang

Does anyone know whether a Denkmeier II binoviewer will work with an Alter M615 (or one of the other models 603/703/715), diagonal included? (Adding a Barlow really isn't practical as the scope is already f/15.)

I could find virtually no information online.

The reason I'm concerned is that the Intes MK66 (another maker's moving-mirror MCT) will not work, according to a couple of sources. The mirror does not move enough and/or vignettes badly.

Very much appreciated! -- William

January 30, 2005 08:54 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Does Intes Micro MCT work with Binoviewer?

Posted By William Chang

Does anyone know whether a Denkmeier II binoviewer will work with an Alter M615 (or one of the other models 603/703/715), diagonal included? (Adding a Barlow really isn't practical as the scope is already f/15.)

I could find virtually no information online.

The reason I'm concerned is that the Intes MK66 (another maker's moving-mirror MCT) will not work, according to a couple of sources. The mirror does not move enough and/or vignettes badly.

Very much appreciated! -- William

March 8, 2005 09:46 PM Forum: Eyepieces

17T4 or 21/14XL?

Posted By William Chang

Which combination should I keep?

(2") Nagler 17T4 with 2X PowerMate (really Big Barlow/Panoptic Interface)
(1.25") Pentax 21 and 14XL with 2X Ultima Barlow

Each combo is about $450-475 on AM, surprisingly close :S

Any unique insights?

-- William

March 17, 2005 12:38 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Lightweight 2" wide field EP?

Posted By William Chang

I'm looking for a decent 2", around 25-32mm wide field EP with enough eye-relief for eyeglasses. The scope is an excellent featherweight 4" f/6.5 achromat so I'd like to keep the total weight down. I have a 32mm TeleVue Wide Field (listed at 1.1 lb) but would like something even lighter. Any suggestions?

-- William

March 17, 2005 10:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Questar - Should I go with broadband coatings?

Posted By William Chang

Jerry, you still got a good deal since the Duplex mount alone is worth $1500 (I listed one and got offers). I'd suggest using it for a little while to see if you like it. If you do, send it in for a cleaning/diagnostic and decide whether it's necessary or cost-effective to recoat. Do not disassemble the OTA yourself. If you find that you don't like the Q, sell it whole or part and you should come out ahead anyway. Good luck!

-- William

March 25, 2005 01:11 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Burgess WA and SWA really different?

Posted By William Chang

I mean, do they have different optics as opposed to merely different field stops and (therefore) eye-relief?

The focal lengths are close enough to be "rounding error"...

-- William

p.s. I hesitated a minute before posting this, given what happened to the other forum. But as Herb put it, Burgess Optical equipment will be discussed on AM regardless -- and this is the more appropriate forum.