Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5070 + NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Chang

August 21, 2003 05:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What's this "two-eyed thingamajig"

Posted By William Chang

Check out the Binoviewer Forum, -- William

August 25, 2003 03:09 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Zoom Barlow?

Posted By William Chang

I don't think we'll see a high quality Zoom Barlow from an EP maker -- bad for business.

The Speers 8-5mm (4.7mm according to review) has ~80* FOV throughout its range, and is back in production. I'm hoping someone would buy a new one (from Helix) and post a review.

Isn't it true that a Barlow's magnification depends on its extension, i.e. position of the EP? If so, every Barlow is already a (limited) zoom. The question is image quality...

-- William

September 5, 2003 03:47 PM Forum: Binoviewers

9mm Antares orthos first light

Posted By William Chang

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I'll hold off ordering more Antares Ortho until I spent more time with my 12.5. I don't have 24Pan; when I tried to Barlow (2X Ultima) my 30 Ultima, eye-relief was thrown forward leading to serious blackout. The TeleVue(s) probably work differently.

Hope the sky stays clear this weekend.

-- William

September 6, 2003 11:10 AM Forum: Telescope Making

My new scope :)

Posted By William Chang

Most interesting, especially the focuser placement -- it doesn't rotate in the UTA does it? I'm trying to imagine the possible eyepiece angles on the GEM... doesn't seem that bad, but a bit tall. Thanks for sharing, -- William

September 8, 2003 08:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Most disappointing telescope purchase.

Posted By William Chang

I thought someone would name the Q3.5? No?

-- William

September 13, 2003 05:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astonished & Disappointed - Please Comment

Posted By William Chang

Gary, there are other objects that are more visually spectacular, that you probably did not get to see. Also, last night was pretty near full moon so the sky was washed out. If you went back in two weeks and looked at a few open and globular clusters, nebulae, etc, well maybe you'll get a little bit of wow.

In my mind, the attraction of a.a. is psychological -- to look at Jupiter's moons and appreciate Galileo's discovery; the unreal-ness of Saturn's ring; globulars with millions of stars; swarms of galaxies filling the eyepiece (well, several galaxies at least) -- even though each is no more than a fuzzball you know you are looking at billions of suns, and it took most of human history (not to mention evolution of life on earth) to reach that simple understanding of how small we are. If you are not inspired by such thoughts then a.a. is probably not for you. But to be honest, it probably was a mistake to be shown the moons of Mars as your first view through a real telescope... like being airlifted on top of Mt Everest in your sleep -- you missed getting there.

Best of luck, -- William

p.s. my first views were: Orion Nebula through a 6" (T minus 23 years), Hercules globular cluster in a Tucson observatory (-11y), Leonid meteor storm (-3y), Jupiter, Saturn, Beehive open cluster, M81/82, nebulae and clusters around the "teapot", Crab Nebula which was no more than an oily patch (really)... all of them memorable (you bet!).

September 14, 2003 11:01 AM Forum: Eyepieces

UO HD Orthoscopic

Posted By William Chang

Gregg, did you try the EPs on the moon, possibly a better target than Mars, and at least an alternative data point. Let us know, -- William

p.s. I sold my 18mm Ultima after comparing it with an old Celestron Ortho made by Vixen...

September 16, 2003 10:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Anybody here looked through a binocular telescope?

Posted By William Chang

If you have $4K burning a proverbial hole... search for binoscope in the Ads (twin Maks). There's a new Yahoo Group called Binewt if you are interested.

Cost, size, difficulty to mass-produce, and tweakiness. I don't think the design has quite been perfected yet.

I have not had the pleasure of looking through a big pair.

-- William

September 17, 2003 09:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How Much for a 9+" APO? Click and See!

Posted By William Chang

At only 6"x9"x12" (trust me), eminently portable -- though at 2500lb hardly transportable. Depleted uranium?

-- William

September 19, 2003 11:10 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Suitable mount/tripod for AP Traveler

Posted By William Chang

John, have you tried vibration suppression pads? My Genesis is perfectly steady, even while fine-focusing, on an older Ash Panoramic with one-piece cradle. I use a Giro for a small Newt; perhaps not ideal for a refractor because the scope isn't centered over the azimuth axis (but people use it that way). The Borg tiltable/slo-mo alt-az looks great but may not handle a Traveler. There are others, but the first thing to try is a trio of VSPs. Let us know what you find out & decide.

-- William