My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dave Bush

May 30, 2003 12:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fine Tuning My Eyepiece Linup

Posted By Dave Bush

I’ve got a 12.5” f/5 Dob and my current line up seems to me to be just about complete. Here’s what I’ve got…

26mm Type 5 Nagler -- 61x (1.3 degree FOV)

13mm Type 6 Nagler -- 122x

9mm Type 6 Nagler – 176x

7mm Type 6 Nagler – 227x

5mm Type 6 Nagler – 317x

I’m debating over the Paracorr. I can see coma in the 26mm at about 80% out from center but then again I’m not so sure how much it bothers me. The Type 6 Naglers don’t seem to show any coma.

Anyway, what else could I add to this (or subtract) to fine tune it?

Thanks!

Dave

July 30, 2003 03:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nagler 20mm Type 5

Posted By Dave Bush

I've just ordered one. Has anyone here got one yet? If so, please share you opinions with us.

Thanks!

July 30, 2003 03:56 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Nagler 20mm Type 5

Posted By Dave Bush

I've just ordered one. Has anyone here got one yet? If so, please share you opinions with us.

Thanks!

August 9, 2003 06:51 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Celestron Ultima Eyepiece - 10mm!

Posted By Dave Bush

In case anyone hasn’t noticed, Celestron has slipped in a new focal length to their Ultima line. If you go to Astronomics web site you’ll see a 10mm. Notice also that it has a lower barrel with a Tele Vue style undercut. What I’d like to see them do is pick up the other focal lengths that I know these “Masuyama” design eyepieces are available in such as the 20mm and 25mm.

Dave

August 9, 2003 06:51 AM Forum: Eyepieces

New Celestron Ultima Eyepiece - 10mm!

Posted By Dave Bush

In case anyone hasn’t noticed, Celestron has slipped in a new focal length to their Ultima line. If you go to Astronomics web site you’ll see a 10mm. Notice also that it has a lower barrel with a Tele Vue style undercut. What I’d like to see them do is pick up the other focal lengths that I know these “Masuyama” design eyepieces are available in such as the 20mm and 25mm.

Dave

October 26, 2003 04:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

1.25" Paracorr Question

Posted By Dave Bush

What is the amplification factor (I know that the current 2" model is 1.15x)?

I've read that only a very few of these were produced (50?). Is this true?

Thanks!

June 14, 2004 09:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Ultima Undercut Barrels...

Posted By Dave Bush

I recently purchased a new (from a dealer) 18mm Ultima. Much to my pleasant surprise it has a shiny chrome lower barrel (not the dull one they used to have) and it has an under cut.

My question is, has anyone purchanse or seen any other focal length (other then the 10mm) Ultima with the same barrel?

Dave

February 12, 2005 12:57 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: tele-vue or konig

Posted By Dave Bush

I would choose neither. My choice would be either the 30mm or 35mm Celestron Ultima.

Having owned the Ultimas, the TV Plossl, and the UO Konig, I can say that the Ultimas have a slightly wider FOV and are indeed sharper across the field. This will be especially so in your f/9 scope.

Dave

March 1, 2005 03:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen DMD-1 Question

Posted By Dave Bush

I've got an SP mount with the drives and the MDM-1 controller. I want to sell it. The whole thing is is near mint condition but... my problem is that I've lost the battery pack. What's more, I've never used the motors so I can't say for sure that they work. So, I have a couple questions...

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement battery pack?

Does anyone know what the voltage for the drives/controller is? I have a rechargeable battery pack (Radio Shack model similar to the Celestron powertank) and would like to use it to at least confirm that the thing works.

Thanks!

Dave

April 13, 2005 04:03 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade 5000 20mm & 26mm SP Brief Report...

Posted By Dave Bush

I have now had three occasions to use both of these eyepieces in my Meade 8" SCT (LX90).

What I've found is that they perform very much like the Meade SWA's (the 24mm and 18mm specifically). They are pinpoint sharp to at least where the 50 degree field stop would be and from there to the end they begin to seagull ever so slightly.

For me, that's not an issue at all. They are very comfortable to use and, again for me, the 60 degree AFOV mark is a sweet spot.

What I need to do and haven't yet is evaluate them on contrast. But so far they are keepers!

Interesting side note here. I recently picked up the three UO Super Erfles and was using the 25mm and 20mm as comparisons with the Meade's. These Super Erfles are really nice in an SCT!

Anyway, I'll post more when I get another opportunity to observe.

Dave