My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Brian Sledz

August 1, 2009 10:17 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

Another think- oil?

Posted By Brian Sledz

A while back there were a few guys on our little board telling us oil was headed to $200 or $300 or $1000 per barrel, I forgot the exact amount. I shorted it around $142.
What say you now? I need another trade. shocked

May 1, 2003 10:10 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Camera lenses - COLOR

Posted By Brian Sledz

That is for sure Herb. I bought a 20mm f2.8 Canon but because the DSLRs are so precise it showed lots of CA. I am only buying hi end lenses. And actually this 70-200 Canon IS can still show CA with some shots like tree branches against the sky.
Brian

May 6, 2003 08:50 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Great Blue Heron

Posted By Brian Sledz

nice serene shot.
Brian

May 8, 2003 01:17 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Indigo Buntings have arrived

Posted By Brian Sledz

great shot considering you shot it through a window. Is that how you take your AP shots? ;-]
Brian

May 9, 2003 12:31 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Stock Market - latest trends

Posted By Brian Sledz

Very cool group. I have been investing for 30 years, 42 years old. The best stock market advice is pretty simple:
Over the last 100 years the market has returned about 5% over long bond rates. Simple add the 5% risk premium to the long term bond rate and voila that is about the return. Buffet has said this time and again. Gotta follow a guy who produces 24% CAGR.

No silly 23% a year.....

Great charts BTW. I would have considered the "slight" penetration of the downtrend line to be a QQQ buyer.

Also well respected market timer Bob Brinker got bullish after three years on March 11.

thanks guys my 2 cents
Brian

May 9, 2003 12:35 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Posted By Brian Sledz

Depends what you bought. If they are hi quality companies that you just paid a bit too much for, stick and stay its bound to pay.
The bonds are safer sorta, best to mix up your money. 60/40 or so.
STAY AWAY FROM MUTUAL FUNDS.
Brian

May 9, 2003 02:18 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Posted By Brian Sledz

That is good. I have that same plan. Mine is called the McDonalds plan but I changed it to Starbucks: being able to live our lifestyle and only need to work at a Starbucks. ;-]
Whaddayathink Herb?
;-]

May 9, 2003 12:24 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Scaled Quail

Posted By Brian Sledz

Kurt,
Nie shot. I like the breast feather detail.
Brian

May 9, 2003 03:25 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

Mutual Funds vs. Individual Stocks

Posted By Brian Sledz

That was me. Why not mutuals? Well first off let me requalify INDEX mutuals are fine low expense and no capital gains nonsense.
Fund managers need to make yearly gains to show their annual performance so they can boast. It is rare to find the manager that has a long term 5-10 year outlook. Bill Miller, Buffet, et al are the only ones worth a darn.
Once a fund gets stocks from about 8 industries its beta will be about 80%. There is no way over time a fund can beat the market. The math is simple. So less industries will give you a bigger beta.
my 2 cents
more later
Brian

May 19, 2003 01:37 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Breaking out?

Posted By Brian Sledz

looks good plus there is a marginal head and shoulders bottom, a break of a near term down trend line and my guess is the 200 day MA is ticking up. Probably time for the dead cat bounce.
Brian