Posts Made By: John Wilson

September 21, 2002 09:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

30mm Ultima vs similar eyepieces

Posted By John Wilson

I've looked through a 30mm Celestron Ultima that gave very nice images. I'm curious, though, whether anyone has any experience comparing this eyepiece to similar 30mm eyepieces made by Takahashi (LE series), Parks, Ultrascopic, Baader, and maybe some others. The Tak, in particular, costs a lot more than the others. Is there any advantage to the Tak (i.e. better images) over the others? Are they all pretty much equivalent? I'd be interested in any of your thoughts.

Thanks,
John

January 6, 2004 11:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Focal lengths of 2" Celestron Ultimas?

Posted By John Wilson

Hi. Can anyone tell me the focal lengths of the 2" Celestron Ultima eyepieces that were discontinued about 10 years ago? I think there was an 80mm but I'm not sure of the others. Any feedback from users of these eyepieces?

Thanks...
John

February 13, 2004 02:12 AM Forum: Lost Contacts and Personal Messages

Addy, would you please contact me (again!)

Posted By John Wilson

Hello Addy.

I'm still getting messages that your email account is full and my notes about the Losmandy GM8 are being returned. Would you please let me know when you can receive messages?

Thanks,
John Wilson

July 27, 2004 04:16 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Nikon 12 x 50 SE

Posted By John Wilson

I'm considering getting a pair of Nikon 12 x 50 Superior E binocs for use in astronomy (as well as for terrestrial use once in a while). I'm drawn to them because of Nikon's reputation for good optics, because 12x might give a substantially larger image than the 7x binocs I currently use, and because of the 4+ mm exit pupil, which would match my aging eyes better than some other binocs. I'd expect to have to use these with a binocular mount. Does anyone have experience with these binoculars for astro use?

Thanks,
John

September 7, 2004 05:24 PM Forum: Takahashi

October 11, 2004 06:42 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Eye relief on Galoc/UO 28mm ortho?

Posted By John Wilson

Hi everyone.

OK... Here's an odd request for info.

As an obligatory glasses-wearer at low magnifications, I'm curious about the eye relief of the 28mm Galoc ortho. (I think this is similar or even identical to the 28mm ortho UO used to sell.) Usually, a 28mm ortho could be counted on to give enough eye relief to be used with glasses. But I've noticed in photos that this ep has a recessed eye lens... Does anyone know whether this ep can still be used with glasses?

Thanks,
John

March 10, 2005 03:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Anybody use I-M M715 in the winter?

Posted By John Wilson

Hello everyone...

I'm considering getting an IM M715. The only reviews I can find are positive but they seem to be from observing sessions in warm weather and I'm wondering about use in the cold of winter... Does anyone have experience using one of these scopes in the cold? Does the fan help keep the image stable even after cooldown?

Thanks,
John

March 27, 2005 05:31 PM Forum: Takahashi

Question about pre-USD EM-200

Posted By John Wilson

Hello everybody.

If anyone out there has a pre-USD EM-200 mount, could I ask what speed(s) are possible with a 12V power source? I know that the EM-1 and 2 and 90S had a 0x / 2x speed on the RA axis (depending on direction). Is the original EM-200 the same? Is the DEC speed 2x also?

Thanks,
John

September 13, 2005 01:07 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Eye relief on SV 15 x 63?

Posted By John Wilson

Are there any folks out there who could tell us whether it's possible to see the entire field of view using glasses?

Thanks,
John

April 11, 2006 02:57 AM Forum: Takahashi

Motors for EM-100 Mount?

Posted By John Wilson

Hi... Here's a Mission Impossible type question...

I have an EM-100 mount and was interested in the possibility of changing the motor/controller system. I've heard from Art C. that the PD4-XY, PD5-XY, and PD6-XY NJP systems will work with this mount. However, the PD7-XY and PD8-XY systems seem to be more readily available. Art wasn't sure whether the PD7-XY setup was compatible with the EM-100 but was pretty sure that the PD8-XY setup was not.

Does anyone out there have experience with these systems to know whether the PD7-XY controller would work with the EM-100 motors? Or whether the PD7-XY motors could replace the "standard" EM-100 motors?

Thanks,
John