My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bruce Mills

October 22, 2005 09:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Amateur vs Pro Mmirror makers

Posted By Bruce Mills

You may recall that the Latin root of amateur is amator,to love.I've always thought that an amateur is anybody really that loves their hobby,craft or profession.We're amateurs all aren't we?
By that definition I include Christen,Royce,Zambuto and the rest.Difficult to imagine these lads wearily rising everyday to do their allotted hours of toil.
The modern idea of the term 'amateur' as a craftless person is a wrong one.Implicit is the idea that before they became full time TM's,their endeavours as ATM's weren't up to much.I'd find that hard to believe.
Cheers,
wink

Bruce

October 24, 2005 07:59 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Newest picture of Starmaster and myself

Posted By Bruce Mills

Hello Floyd,
It all looks about as good as it can get.Great stuff. 8)

Bruce

November 1, 2005 06:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Aperture Fever

Posted By Bruce Mills

This is a long thread isn't?
My tuppence worth is that there is a mindset amongst us,thanks to Kriege and Berry,that big aperture means wheelbarrow handles and wheels pretty much.
I'd suggest thinking light.There are a few builders out there that have gone down this path and not regretted it.
I managed to make a 2" thick mirrored 20"f4 that is put up in less time than it takes me to put up a Sky90.Six screws.Two or three minutes maybe.It weighs less than a hundred pounds total.I'm near 60 now and the impetus to build it was unadulterated aperture fever.The question was if I didn't build it now,..would I ever?
The idea of a superlight 30incher has started to distract me now I confess.
There doesn't appear to be a cure for those afflicted by "AF"!

Bruce

December 14, 2005 10:57 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Single Upper Ring On Truss Dob

Posted By Bruce Mills

Hello Bill,I think there are quite a few single ring tops about now. I used one for mine which I finished about a year ago. I can't post a picture as my old laptop with its stash of pictures has gone belly-up. Here's a link to a website that describes it though;
http://www.freewebs.com/brucemills/20inchf4telescope.htm
Other sites that guided me in that direction were Greg Babcock's and Bruce Sayre's. Easily found.
I can't say that I'm hundred percent satisfied with the result though,as I think to detect a very tiny bit of flex which I strongly suspect to be the ring as I drop it in altitude,that is,watching the LaserMax collimator's pattern in the secondary. I'm fairly sure it isn't from the truss set up. I am in fact working up to having another go at the top ring,maybe by employing two thinner rings (-maybe steel?)with a spacing element
I'm totally happy with the pyramidal Dural spider though,and the rest of it. I don't recall any difficulties with the focuser and finder arrangement.
Oh yes,don't forget the baffle. Even now I've yet to make one!

Bruce

January 5, 2006 05:59 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Best Books for Solar Viewing

Posted By Bruce Mills

Quick!! This was still active as I post this from the classifieds here; http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=400302 which are the Ha solar observer's 'must have'.
Incidentally,I recall that Rich Feinberg gave Pam Spence's book a mauling in his review of it in S&T awhile ago.

Bruce

March 29, 2006 08:40 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Inspirational Bi-Newt

Posted By Bruce Mills

A one off.Inspired stuff.Looks good. 8)
You've got to be 'committed' to fool about with fibreglass to that degree I think. I hate working with the stuff.

Bruce

March 29, 2006 02:36 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Finder ideas for a reverse bi-Newt?

Posted By Bruce Mills

I would imagine that somewhere on Bruce Sayre's description of his big bi-newtonian there'll be something along those lines;
http://www.foothill.net/~sayre/22-in.%20binocular.htm
If memory serves me right it might just be a Rigel unit power finder.

Bruce

June 15, 2006 03:51 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Solar Max 60 photogarphy??

Posted By Bruce Mills

Dante, A standard 'T' ring adaptor to suit your camera + a 1.25" threaded adaptor screwed onto your 'T' ring will enable you to plug your camera into the standard right angle BF diagonal. A BF30,if memory serves me right,is a straight through filter. Have a peek at the Coronado 'site.

Bruce

January 19, 2007 06:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Intes MN 65 Mak-Newt (long post)

Posted By Bruce Mills

Hello John, enjoyed reading your report on the MN56, they're not mentioned too often, but for sure they're one of the really good Maksutovs out there.
Everyone else has said it all I would suppose, but I would add that the Intes extended front baffle tube is a good piece of work. Unlike their version of the Crayford which tempers the joy to be had with this 'scope: it's dire. I like the multiple draw tubes which would probably accomodate most eyepieces, but that's about it.
I post this because only a very few weeks ago I spent a couple of hours on the lathe to knock up an adaptor ring so I could marry a FeatherTouch to the MN. Yes, I used the tiny two Intes set screws ( almost like 'speck screws' ) to hold the adaptor onto the tube plate's base and, as can be seen, three overlong Allen headed set screws-they were to hand- through the adaptor to hold the FT. Loosening one of the screws still allows the focuser to swivel to wherever's handy. I didn't have the FT reducer ( 1.25") so I borrowed the Intes tube as in the photo.
It's transformed the 'scope. smile

Bruce

February 1, 2007 10:34 PM Forum: Takahashi

Collimation Woes

Posted By Bruce Mills

A note to let you know what I discovered tonight.
I wouldn't expect this to be the cure to the hassle I've been having, but, I finally got around to loosing off the primary's retaining ring and extracting the mirror for a looksee.
A really nice cast and machined al. cell was revealed with six cork faced floating pads to centre the mirror within. Mirror supported from underneath by three cork faced 40mm dia. al.pads floating on the three dome ended set screws that are adjusted from without.
Two of the pads appear to be stuck to the underside of the mirror and the other was at liberty to roam. How it effected its release I can but wonder. The photo shows to what effect. The dimpling is the effect of the dome ended set screw which ought to have been acting within the centre hole. Not good. :C
From the off I was given to wonder about why one of the set screws was so obviously higher than the other two, but couldn't picture the mechanical arrangement within. Now I know.
I expect I'll give the mirror a good scrub in the sink before replacing it tomorrow. grin

Bruce